Ashtabula, OH
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60
I had my pool deck sand blasted and refinished with a hybrid acrylic/siloxane sealer (D1). After it cured I filled the cracks with Sika polyurethane self leveling. It failed, sika says it will not attach to acrylic sealers. Contacted Dec-o-seal and they said they had no crack filler that will adhere.

Does anyone know what crack filler will adhere to concrete that has been sealed with an acrylic sealer?

The crack is not the deck.

Can you show close up pictures of exactly what was done and how it failed?

How deep is the crack?

Did the sealer get in the crack?
Got it!

Yes.

Cracks are both expansions and normal cracking. 1/4”-1/2” up to 6”. All normal cracking were ground with v shaped Diamond grinder (before refinishing), filled with sand to about 3/8-1/2” then filled.

Yes, that is the problem.95B543BB-23EC-444C-9C13-282894A94907.jpeg5AF3E50E-CF6B-4278-9702-6AC9039A373F.jpeg080B64B0-0F9D-4E93-9F5B-6F570EC2D399.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Got it!

Yes.

Cracks are both expansions and normal cracking. 1/4”-1/2” up to 6”. All normal cracking were ground with v shaped Diamond grinder (before refinishing), filled with sand to about 3/8-1/2” then filled.

Yes, that is the problem.
Curious if concrete etcher would remove the sealer and allow the cracks to be filled. Might also try construction grout.

Curious if concrete etcher would remove the sealer and allow the cracks to be filled.
Potentially, but I think impossible to execute without ruining the finish, or driving the sealer deeper in the holes.

Might also try construction grout.
Will not work. This is the same as putting grout in the 90 degree corners of a shower. Grout will crack and not solve the problem of water intrusion. I need a flexible (preferably self leveling) sealer that will bond to the acrylic.

Potentially, but I think impossible to execute without ruining the finish, or driving the sealer deeper in the holes.

Will not work. This is the same as putting grout in the 90 degree corners of a shower. Grout will crack and not solve the problem of water intrusion. I need a flexible (preferably self leveling) sealer that will bond to the acrylic.
Are the slabs still moving around? Maybe saw cut the joint slightly larger to remove the sealed layer?

Reactions: JamesW
Silioxanes are silica based polymers that form very inert, very phobic (hydrophobic and lipophobic) surfaces. I’m not surprised the filler failed.

Agreed with @JamesW - you’re going to have key/notch the crack using a diamond blade on an angle grinder to get down to fresh concrete and then use the filler. The siloxane should only penetrate the surface for a few millimeters or so, therefore opening up the crack is your best bet.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.