SE Michigan
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60 Plus
Hello, we are buying a home that has a large inground pool (25 x 45). We live in Michigan and get significant snowfall during the winter. The current owner covers the pool in the winter with a standard cover held in place by the "water balloons" (sorry I don't know the technical name). However, that wont work for me because I have three dogs (one large St. Bernard that is 140 lbs and still growing) that will undoubtedly walk on the cover (our entire yard is fenced, not just the pool) and they would sink (I assume) so I will need to buy a cover to use over the winter that will support the weight of them since I can see no way to keep them off of it (if you have suggestions, I am all ears). I'm also concerned that in the winter, with snowfall, they may not recognize where the "pool area" is and may urinate and defecate on the pool cover so am thinking it may be best to have a solid material vs. a mesh material.

What are you guys using/doing if you have a situation similar to mine? Do you have any suggestions/recommendations for a type or style of cover?

Kindly,
Steph

You need a cover that uses brass anchors. Looploc, Meyco, and others make them.

Reactions: Stephs2125
Is there a reason to cover it ? Kids, Grandkids or lots of trees to dump crud in the pool ?

I had a loop loc for kids and trees but we moved to an open lot with no trees and the kids are teens now. I’m looking at similar issues that you are. If I cover it, the dog will use is as a shortcut and poke holes in it over time. If I leave it open, nobody will know where it is in the snow and when it’s frozen it will be a animal shortcut again.

So what I came up with was to leave it open and use some sort of temporary fence while it’s frozen for (?) a month. If we get a blizzard outside of the big freeze I will just throw the temporary fence back up for a few days.

Reactions: Stephs2125
Is there a reason to cover it ? Kids, Grandkids or lots of trees to dump crud in the pool ?

I had a loop loc for kids and trees but we moved to an open lot with no trees and the kids are teens now. I’m looking at similar issues that you are. If I cover it, the dog will use is as a shortcut and poke holes in it over time. If I leave it open, nobody will know where it is in the snow and when it’s frozen it will be a animal shortcut again.

So what I came up with was to leave it open and use some sort of temporary fence while it’s frozen for (?) a month. If we get a blizzard outside of the big freeze I will just throw the temporary fence back up for a few days.
I do like the temporary fence idea, I may try to incorporate that, but I will still need some type of cover...pine tree's (needles) surround the pool. I feel like that is going to be a separate issue (pine trees/needles everywhere) and I am considering removing (some/all of) them and replacing them later with arborvitaes or similar for some privacy and landscaping but that would definitely be more than a few years out.

Reactions: Newdude
I think in your case something like Newdude describes is your best bet, even if you cover the pool. A portable pool fence will keep people and animals off the pool surface should it become burried in snow. Its an extra layer of protection and your cover will last longer.
Thank you for this link, I will check this out for sure.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.