Could faulty inline Chlorinator cause hot tub to drain into pool?

b_ever

Apr 22, 2019
Little Elm, TX
Hey gang, new member and first post here. About 3 months ago my hot tub started draining into my pool. The hot tub is built on the pool deck, so it sits about 2' above the pool. I had to put a cork in my auto drain to keep the water from draining out! Is it possible for an inline chlorinator would cause this to happen? I have replaced the "check valve" as instructed by my local Leslies but no luck. At times I hear clicking......any ideas? I dont use the chlorinator anymore, is it as easy as i think it is to remove? Just cut it out, or take it off, and cap the opening? See pic below, and thanks for reading!

Attachments

• IMG_2965.jpg
    IMG_2965.jpg
    423 KB · Views: 28
b,

In theory it should be the check valve... :mrgreen:

As a test I suggest that before you turn off the pump you turn your Return valve (top center) so that the spa is shut off completely and see if the spa still drains down. I would also turn off the Spa water feature (bottom right).. Both of these valves have attached check valves that could potentially drain your spa with the pump off.

I can't see how the chlorinator could do it, but I have learned to never say never.. :cool:

How far does the spa drain down? Just to the returns/jets or well below the returns/jets?

Thanks,

Jim R.

b,

As a test I suggest that before you turn off the pump you turn your Return valve (top center) so that the spa is shut off completely and see if the spa still drains down. I would also turn off the Spa water feature (bottom right).. Both of these valves have attached check valves that could potentially drain your spa with the pump off.

I can't see how the chlorinator could do it, but I have learned to never say never.. :cool:

How far does the spa drain down? Just to the returns/jets or well below the returns/jets?

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks Jim, i will try tonight. Leslie's also mentioned there could be underground check valves that I couldnt see, but I will try what you suggested tonight. Also, it doesnt drain EVERY night. it does most nights, but not every one. At times I can also hear a very audible clicking noise.... not sure if any of this is related or not, just what i see and hear.

b,

Thanks,

Jim R.
....sorry, it drains down below the jets...

b,

I really doubt you have any underground check valves as the ones you have above ground seem to where they need to be.

See if you can isolate that clicking noise.. When you hear it, take the top off the chlorinator and see if it stops.. Does you filter drain down so that when the pump comes on in the morning you get huge bubbles out of the returns?

Jim R.

b,

I see two check valves in your pic.. :mrgreen:

There is one connected to the Spa water feature line.. The other check valve would normally case the spa to only drain down to the returns/jets.

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That would the correct check valve to replace if the spa only drained down to the jets..

I suggest you open the check valve that says "Spa Water Feature" and has a screw on cap on the right bottom of your first pic..

Jim R.

Reactions: b_ever
That would the correct check valve to replace if the spa only drained down to the jets..

I suggest you open the check valve that says "Spa Water Feature" and has a screw on cap on the right bottom of your first pic..

Jim R.
Ahhhh, so all those black handled valves are also called check valves.......assume they are easy to replace also......i'll mess with it tonight......or maybe replace the handle by the check valve i replaced since that is close to where i hear the clicking......adn if i open the valve where it says spa water feature, that will cause the water fall to start flowign...

The black handled valves are just valves. Jim is talking about the white item on your Spa Feature line. It has ribs on it. Unscrew it and the check valve is in it.

Reactions: b_ever
b,

Valves with handles are just valves... A Marty points out the check valve actauly has the words "Spa Water Feature" right on it. It is white and does not look like the other check valve. The cap on the end just screws off..

adn if i open the valve where it says spa water feature, that will cause the water fall to start flowign...

I believe it was a test and the pump would be off.. why would the waterfall start flowing?

I now suspect that the Spa water feature check valve is what is making the clicking noise..

Jim R.

b,

Valves with handles are just valves... A Marty points out the check valve actauly has the words "Spa Water Feature" right on it. It is white and does not look like the other check valve. The cap on the end just screws off..

I believe it was a test and the pump would be off.. why would the waterfall start flowing?

I now suspect that the Spa water feature check valve is what is making the clicking noise..

Jim R.
forgot, pump is off, thanks.....i'll check it all out.

b,

Jim R.
Looks like we have a winner! this was on the spa water feature end cap. turned it off after pump shut off and no draining yet.

Attachments

• IMG_3080.jpg
    IMG_3080.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3079.jpg
    IMG_3079.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3078.jpg
    IMG_3078.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 6
b,

Jim R.
I think i posted this on my comment, so here it is again. looks like we have a winner. this was on the spa feature as you suggested! What is this thing called? is it a special kind of check valve?

Attachments

• IMG_3080.jpg
    IMG_3080.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_3079.jpg
    IMG_3079.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_3078.jpg
    IMG_3078.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 2
It is an old Ortega check valve.. I am not sure they even make them any more. You will have to do a google search and see if you can find parts.. Or.. if you never use the spa water feature, just cap it off...

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.