Cost to build a pool in Katy/Houston Area?

Nov 29, 2018
Houston/Texas
Hi all. I’m new to pools and pool building and pool builders.

Based on what I’ve read here so far, and in discussions with friends and neighbors in the area I live in, it sounds like a pool build with spa, water feature, travertine, and solid equipment at around 35’ x 16’...I should expect to pay between $65K- $80K? Is that about right? Too high?

What’s the realistic range and what’s a good rule of thumb to base it off of?

My first quotes back were more like $85K - $90K with larger PB. Seems high. Am I mistaken?

I don’t really want to go with “a guy” PB.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

There are many factors that can affect pricing. Therefore, quotes can vary wildly. I live just south of Houston in League City. Given what you are wanting and based on the quotes I got this past summer I would guesstimate $70K minimum, easy. The square footage of travertine decking you want will greatly affect pricing. You can see the details of our pool in my sig. We are doing spray deck which is more affordable than travertine. All of our quotes carried about a $5K premium due to extremely long gas/electrical runs. I see that you want a large PB company and not just a “guy”. Keep in mind that bigger companies are not necessarily better. There are many smaller family run operations that offer superior service and excellent quality. Brentkhack(a member of this forum) built in my area with a large company and had many issues during his build and he would not recommend them. Do yourself a favor and don’t exclude some smaller builders. There are good ones out there but you have to do some research. I’m sure people here could help you if you need. Take your time, don’t rush. Good luck in your quest!

Thank you for the perspective. I need to have a more open mind. I’m sure there are a lot of solid independent PBs out there. I probably need to talk to more PBs before we decide.

Ideally, I’d like to limit the babysitting of a project like this (perhaps a sign I should not build in the first place :)) and then long term I’d like to be able to go after a stable company if we run into problems down the road.

Ideally, I’d like to limit the babysitting of a project like this (perhaps a sign I should not build in the first place :))

My number one piece of advice to folks building a pool is to learn as much about pools as you can (you've found the place to do that) and be in constant discussion with the PB throughout the process. You will see things they don't, guaranteed. In the end, my PB thanked me for saving his several headaches. I've seen it over and over where a homeowner says "but I thought the PB would know better or take care of it". Don't assume they do or will. The sooner they know of your concerns or questions the better.

Your quotes are the market. They are only high if you get ones that are lower. It's just sticker shock - again very common. But I do hope subsequent quotes do come in lower for you.

I totally agree. My PB also thanked me multiple times for catching their mistakes, and saving them from huge headaches and cost of fixing them... Unfortunately, these things will happen, and you have to wear an inspector hat. After all, it's your pool.

My number one piece of advice to folks building a pool is to learn as much about pools as you can (you've found the place to do that) and be in constant discussion with the PB throughout the process. You will see things they don't, guaranteed. In the end, my PB thanked me for saving his several headaches. I've seen it over and over where a homeowner says "but I thought the PB would know better or take care of it". Don't assume they do or will. The sooner they know of your concerns or questions the better.

Your quotes are the market. They are only high if you get ones that are lower. It's just sticker shock - again very common. But I do hope subsequent quotes do come in lower for you.

With 350sq ft of travertine and no water features, we were all in for about $60k with our big name builder. The water features can add a lot to the cost, and many will tell you that they don’t get used very often. The builder we went with spent a good few hours going through each line item with us to see what we could cut to get to our budget without really losing too much. Go back and ask what they can do to get you closer to your number.

Another thing you can do is share your quotes here and we will pick them apart go over they will with.

I will tell you there are many times when you will have to be there for the work done to make sure it is correct and how you want it done. There have been very few builds where the PB is on site very often if at all. Most of the times it is the subs he hired to do the work. Should you have to be there if you are paying them to do it? Nope but.............you do need to be there.

Kim:kim:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.