Correct wiring for SWG

Perpetual summer

Silver Supporter
Feb 17, 2017
Ohio
Pool is closed for the season, this is first full season from new install. The SWG is on its own circuit and is not tied to a timer so it’s on all the time, flow switch is shutting it off when pump is off. I would like to change the wiring to have it on the same circuit as the pump, which is on a timer in the easytouch. My electrical knowledge is limited but can wire a circuit. I have all pentair, an easy touch 4, variable speed pump, and an Ic40 SWG. I understand the inherent problem with it being on all the time and the flow switch. I would like to get it changed over before next spring opening day. Can someone post a link to a diagram or instructions for doing this? Thanks in advance.

If you have an ET4, then why wasn't the IC40 wiried through the main pump relay? Was the ET4 panel spec'd to have the IntelliChlor power supply built into it? If the ET4 is supplying power to the SWG cell, then it's not wired correctly if it's being powered all the time.

ps,

If you have an EasyTouch the problem is very simple to fix.

We need to know if your EasyTouch has the built-in SWCG power supply or if the SWCG power is in a separate external box.

If the EasyTouch has the Built-in power supply, it will have four small circuit breakers in the upper right side of the control panel. One of them will be labeled as "Intellichlor"...

Let us know which power supply you have...

Thanks,

Jim R.

There is a designated circuit breaker for the Ic40. One labeled intellichlor. I question the guy that just closed my pool and he couldn’t give me an answer, he was the guy that physically put in the pool but not the electrician. I first thought it was odd that the SWG always had a light on, sometimes blinking all night. Then reading here, realized it not wired the way it should be.

There is a designated circuit breaker for the Ic40. One labeled intellichlor. I question the guy that just closed my pool and he couldn’t give me an answer, he was the guy that physically put in the pool but not the electrician. I first thought it was odd that the SWG always had a light on, sometimes blinking all night. Then reading here, realized it not wired the way it should be.

In order for us to help, we’re going to need to see some pictures of how the electrician wired everything up which means opening up the ET4 automation box and taking off the front panel.

ps,

Normally the relay in the upper left of the EasyTouch is set up as the Pump/Filter relay. If you read the label on the biggest transformer inside the EasyTouch it will have a note requiring the transformer be wired to the output of the pump/filter relay.

If not already done, 220 volts needs to be wired to the two input legs of the Pump/Filter relay and the two outputs should be wired to the transformer... One of the outputs is connected to the Yellow wire, the other output is wired to the White wire and the Violet and Black transformer wires are connected together with a wire nut.

It should look something like this...

dbtgallery.php

Thanks,

Jim R.

ps,

The main thing you need to look for is where the Yellow and White wires from your big SWCG transformer go..

I have an extra little transformer and relay that does not apply to your set up..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Tisk, tisk Jim :whip:

I see a tightly coiled neutral wire connected to the neutral bus (maybe from one of your GFCI breakers). Bad form there friend .... coils = stray inductance .... I give you -2 points for bad wiring form :pth:

:laughblue:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The coiled white “pigtail” wire from the circuit breaker to the panel neutral bus terminal does not carry any current and should not need to be uncoiled.

But, when the EMP hits, it’ll act as an antenna and completely zap his panel.... ok, so maybe just -1 point for bad wiring form ...

Matt,

I'll take the 1 point and leave the little piggy's alone...

I have rewired my panel a couple of times since that pic was taken, but not wanting to get a lifetime ban, I don't plan on showing those pics. :p

You failed to see where the power for the SWCG transformer is being tapped off of the IntelliFlo GFCI.. Which, in theory, is an error but the way almost all installers wire them up. That problem is no longer there.

Jim R.

25C2BD76-EAE9-4A70-ABF4-79F5C92CDB8D.jpg
Ok, just dodged rain and the annual invasion of lady bugs. Here is the pic of my easytouch. I saw the big warning sticker on the SWG relay or is it the transformer? It boggles my mind that a licensed electrician that does pools got it wrong.
what wires do I need to change? Thanks

Yep, that SWG transformer is not wired correctly. There needs to be 220V wired to that first relay from the breakers feeding the pool pump and then the load side of that relay hooks up to the SWG transformer. This ensures that when you activate POOL mode on the ET panel, the SWG transformer gets powered up.

Jim will know the correct wiring colors.

- - - Updated - - -

I would also add that you should add surge protector to your ET panel. SquareD makes a 2-leg SPD that easily attaches to the ET panel knockouts at the bottom. You’ll have to use up two breaker positions to power it BUT the $100 you spend on it is well worth protecting your equipment from getting fried by a power surge.

Rick,

It is hard for me to tell what is what in your picture, but it appears the 220 from the Intellifo GFCI breaker is being feed down to two wire nuts... one with a Yellow wire from the SWCG Transformer and one with a White wire from the SWCG transformer. From the wire nuts, the power is going to your pump, which it should..

You need to do two things..

1. Remove the Yellow and White wires from the wire nuts and move them up to the relay in the upper left side of the panel.. This should be the Pump/Filter relay. Connect the Yellow wire to one output pin and the White wire to the other output pin. See the door label for which pin is which.

2. From the same wire nuts you need to run new wires to the Input pins on the relay..

Basically, your transformer is getting power all the time now.. What you are doing is just adding the Pump/Filter relay between the power that the transformer is getting now, and the transformer. The power will not pass through the relay unless the pump is being told to turn on. This relay does not control the pump, it is just on at the same time as the pump. The pump is controlled by a digital cable, not a relay.

What it the one relay that is being used for? I hope it is not for a pool light, as I see no sign of any GFCI to protect you... :confused:

Please let me know if this does not makes sense... My post #6 has a picture of the basic set up..

Thanks,

Jim R.

- - - Updated - - -

As Matt suggested, I would add a surge protector... You can see one in the bottom left of my picture. It is the black box with the white label and it just snaps in and takes the space of two breakers..

I have an outlet near pool that is somehow connected to pool lights, switched outside of box with gfci, pool lights still controlled by easytouch..... I hope it’s correct.
Jim, I think I follow you instructions, the relay you describe is the piece with the four connecting screws on the utmost top left of my pic, correct? This SHOULD be the pump relay? If that’s the case iam pretty sure I get it.

Rick,

Yes the relay in the upper left is supposed to be the Pump/Filter relay, but you need to make sure... Drop the front panel down by removing the two captive screws... Then follow the two small twisted wires from the Pump/Filter relay and make sure they are plugged into the Pump/Filter connector. It is plainly marked on the main circuit board. The pump/filter connector is the one on the far left and all the other relay connectors are marked as Aux1, Aux2, etc...

Did you look on the inside of the main enclosure door to see which relay pins are the input pins and which are the output pins?

Good luck with your project.

Jim R.

Jim, I have heard that a vs pump does not use the relay? Is that not the case? Did you wire your set up?

I contacted the pool builder because I feel it’s something he should correct since it was initially set up wrong. His response was it was wired from the factory that way, which doesn’t sound right to me, but he will contact pentair and get back to me. The warning label was sent from factory so somethings wrong here. You are correct and will see if his response from pentair will get this fixed, if not I’ll be correcting it.

Jim, I have heard that a vs pump does not use the relay? Is that not the case? Did you wire your set up?

I contacted the pool builder because I feel it’s something he should correct since it was initially set up wrong. His response was it was wired from the factory that way, which doesn’t sound right to me, but he will contact pentair and get back to me. The warning label was sent from factory so somethings wrong here. You are correct and will see if his response from pentair will get this fixed, if not I’ll be correcting it.

Rick,

I wired the two units that I installed at a couple of rent houses, and have rewired the one at my house because the installer used the relay in the Aux1 position as the Pump/Filter relay.. Because of that and several other things, my OCD could not take it and I rewired the panel to suit my needs.

In the old days when everyone had single speed pumps, the Pump/Filter relay was used to control the voltage to the pump as well as the SWCG's transformer. With a VS pumps the relay now only controls the SWCG, but the relay is still called the Pump/Filter relay. The EasyTouch tells the pump to run, and at what speed, via a small data cable.. the pump has constant AC power.

The EasyTouch comes with both the Control Transformer and the SWCG transformer unwired... This is something that must be done by the installer. This is because both transformers can be wired for 220 or 120 volts.. Pentair would have no way of knowing what voltage would be used, so they are shipped without the primary side being wired at all. Your Pool Builder is just flat out wrong and should fix it free of charge as it is installed incorrectly.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.