Correct type of plastic for "dosing jars"

MouseMan54

May 18, 2016
Riverside, CA
Hello - I put this here as it seems most related to chemicals, but if mods need to move it, no worries.

I'd like to start getting my 14 year olds involved (trained) in pool care. They are both pretty capable so sweeping, testing, etc. isn't much concern. However I'm not quite ready to have them handling gallon jugs of MA just yet. I'm curious if anyone has any thoughts on containers for pre-measuring the MA. From what I've found the main concern would be the correct type of plastic. Misc. advice on the web indicates to use PVC or polyethylene (HDPE?) and to avoid polyester (juice/soda bottles).

I want something with a wide mouth so it doesn't "glug" and that can be reused for a reasonable amount of time. My approach would be to pre-fill some 16 or 32 oz bottles so the kids can add acid when the testing indicates. The spillway is always running and we are using the spa every chance we get, so recently I have had pretty consistent PH rise. Couple of example I found on Amazon: 1000ML (33 oz.) OR 16 oz. I would also have glasses and gloves for them.

Open for whatever advice the community has. TIA!

(note - not worried about chlorine as I have SWG)

For safety reasons you want to handle MA as little as possible. That means pouring directly from the gallon jug into the pool.

Every intermediate pour between the jug and the pool creates a risk of spills and exposure.

Wait until your son can handle the pour from the jug into the pool. Have him get experience pouring from a jug with liquid chlorine. The only risks with liquid chlorine are to his clothing. When he can pour liquid chlorine into the pool without it showing on his clothing then he can graduate to MA.

Last edited:
I would always leave in original container. Too much chance for error with someone not knowing contents and posted warnings. I have to be very careful with mine. The housekeeper knows where I keep bleach and will always help herself to the stash when she needs it. I don't dare leave a bottle of MA anwhere within her sight path, as even with the labeling difference, the bottles look too similar for my comfort.

To be honest- I would just use the MA jugs (add lines to them in 32 oz incriments with a sharpie) & show them how to float the jug & pour without splashing. Most people find it helpful to mark their jugs anyway. More handling = more risks of injury. Be sure to emphasize that if it splashes on their skin they should calmly but immediately sit the jug down & wash their hands & arms (or wherever it splashed) in the pool. Supervised doses for quite a while until you feel comfortable. When I was their age I was learning about & interacting with battery acid so I don’t think it’s a terrible idea if you know & can judge your kiddos abilities & use safety precautions. Go over all the safety stuff with them - being upwind, glasses, never mixing chems etc.
Maybe have them read this too
(Most adults still need to read & refer to it!)
👇
Just because it doesn’t apply to your pool every day doesn’t mean they don’t need to be aware of interactions/consequences etc. Teens tend to take liberties thinking they have it all figured out - even the cautious responsible ones. All we can do is arm them with proper knowledge & hope they use it.

Reactions: Newdude
I'm fairly new to this, but I use paint mixing cups and lids are available for them. These are frequently used with solvent and should stand up to chemicals. I mainly use them because they are the only thing I had available with measurement marks.

It might not be the right option, but its an option.

I used to use those as I only need small amounts of ma & I used them for bleach as well when my pool was smaller. They definitely crack after a short time. My husband paints cars so we have a bunch of them but I still don’t use them.
Now I use a thicker plastic measuring cup with a handle if it’s necessary to measure small amounts.

TBH - pre measuring just seemed more coinvent to me. It would be a task I would own and would not have the kids do. My thinking is the smaller containers would be easier and safer for them to handle and eliminate the element of assessing volume. I would assume the risk of the additional handling. As garroyo130 notes above, there are several posts on here about using measuring containers thereby handling twice. That's kind of what drove my thinking, but I was concerned about keeping the MA in a container for a longer period and what type of container would be safe.

All that said I was certainly not intending to start a thread that would lead anyone towards unsafe practices. Even if I'm comfortable and confident in my methods, I would hate for anyone to see this and NOT think about the things pointed out. So thanks for the input.

The kids are boy/girl twins BTW :cool:, and I know they can handle it. I'm the cautious one, but maybe I'm over thinking things! I'll defiantly review the safety reading with them.

I personally prefer to keep things like chems in their original container for safety etc.
if you use alot of ma you likely have many jugs or can start collecting a them - perhaps just leave specific amounts in them instead of using the whole jug. This will take up some space obviously but eliminate the other issues & its free 😊

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.