Copper or Iron Stains, which to remove first

I have an original (older) Paddock pool that has a copper lined intake to the pump. Over a 9 year period I believe the copper stains were introduced from poorly maintained water balancing and the iron stains from fertilizer dust. I have a couple of pics to show where the stains are currently at.

If I understand correctly, removing copper stains will remove a layer of plaster. Would this also remove the iron stains or is that still a separate process?

Attachments

• IMG_2425.jpeg
    IMG_2425.jpeg
    541.6 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2420.jpeg
    IMG_2420.jpeg
    185.7 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2419.jpeg
    IMG_2419.jpeg
    352.2 KB · Views: 15
Have you confirmed they are copper stains with something like the Jacks stain id kit.
You can determine if they are iron by using vitamin C - if they are copper the vitamin C/ascorbic acid may turn them darker.
What gets removed will depend upon the process you use. What are you planning to do?

Have you positively confirmed you have iron stains and copper stains?

Removing copper stains will not remove a layer of palster.

Lift the iron stains using ascorbic acid and then the copper stains using sulfamic acid then you should drain the chemical soup and fill with fresh water.

@JamesW will sulfamic acid lift copper and iron stains?

Reactions: Mdragger88
Yes copper and Iron stains. I just drained my pool 75% to get my CYA down to 40 and I’ve just finished SLAM. Now I am moving on to stain removal.
I am open to suggestions for what order and how to remove both types of stains.

Have you positively confirmed you have iron stains and copper stains?

Removing copper stains will not remove a layer of palster.

Lift the iron stains using ascorbic acid and then the copper stains using sulfamic acid then you should drain the chemical soup and fill with fresh water.

@JamesW will sulfamic acid lift copper and iron stains?
Hi Allen,

After the ascorbic treatment and use of the pink stuff sequestrate is it possible to rid the water of the cleaned off metals by cleaning my DE filter once or more within a couple of days? Then after cleaning the DE filter using the same method with the copper stain removal treatment followed again by pink stuff and another DE filter cleaning or two. Or is your experience that the filtering out of the sequestrate/ metals not usually successful. I am hoping to not have to do another refill but if that is the way to go so be it.

And thank you for your assistance!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
No, you cannot filter out all the metals in your water.

In addition the AA and sulfamic acid will mess up your FC chemistry for months after.

Trying to keep your water will leave you with continuing problems. Better to start with fresh water,

No, you cannot filter out all the metals in your water.

In addition the AA and sulfamic acid will mess up your FC chemistry for months after.

Trying to keep your water will leave you with continuing problems. Better to start with fresh water,

I am learning I am more financially drained which makes draining the pool less of an option. One more question, would tackling only the Iron stains be possible without replacing the water? If not I may need to set this aside until next spring.

Thanks Allen again for your input.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.