Dacula, Ga
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
I have had my pool for about 9 months now, and following the TFP method, the water has been perfect and crystal clear from the beginning. Never a problem. Out of curiousity, I took a sample yesterday to the Pool store to see what the results would be. Most of the results were generally where mine are self-testing with the TFTestkits, but a few results were off where I knew they should be.

But on the report were two items that I do not test for. Copper at .4 ppm and Phosphates 369 ppb. Both of which are said to be high.
I've never known nor paid attention to these two items and was curious what if anything I needed to do. The pool store was prepared to sell me about $180 worth of product to shock and treat those two items.

Any advice on what those levels mean and if I should even be concerned with them.

Copper is a problem, phosphates are not.

First thing is figuring out how copper got into your water. Copper comes from using pool products containing copper - algaecides, mineral sanitizers, pool products labeled Blue such as Clorox. Or from a deteriorating gas heater copper heat exchange.

The only way to remove copper from your pool is by draining the water.

Does your pool surfaces show any signs of copper staining?

Read Copper in Pool Water - Further Reading

Please create your signature with details of your pool and equipment. It helps us answer your questions and give specific advice.

No there is no staining visible anywhere. I have never added anyting to the water other than salt, chlorinating liquid, calclium hardness increaser, and muriatic acid. So no questionable products as far as I am aware.

We do have a gas pool heater that has been used regularly this winter for the spa.

No there is no staining visible anywhere. I have never added anyting to the water other than salt, chlorinating liquid, calclium hardness increaser, and muriatic acid. So no questionable products as far as I am aware.

We do have a gas pool heater that has been used regularly this winter for the spa.
Don't trust the pool store test. My first few weeks of taking care of mine I was testing there, and they showed CU increasing. My pool water is new, my well is new, all plumbing Pex, fiberglass tank, and nothing added to pool water by me but normal.

Do you have any of these?

What are the Effects of Copper in Pool Water?​

• Green to black stains
  • Emerald green pool water
  • Blonde or gray hair turning green

Then just keep an eye on things and stay out of pool stores.

Reactions: magiteck
Then just keep an eye on things and stay out of pool stores.
I learned my lesson yesterday. As soon as I got home I told my wife, that I knew far more than the pool store employee. He tried to sell me a product that was a conditioner of some type, I asked if it was cyanuric acid, and he had no clue what I was talking about.... So I proceeded to point to cyanuric acid on the test readout he had given me and he said oh I'm not sure...

Thanks to you guys here, I feel completely in control of my pool, and honestly it's very little effort.. This website is the best.

Thank you!

Reactions: Newdude
Unfortunately, most Pool Store employees jobs are to sell products and not to give good advice.

This website is the best.
We are glad you have found our information helpful. Please, if you can, consider making a donation to TFP. We are staffed by volunteers and are registered as an IRS 501 (c) (3) charity and donations are what keeps the forum operating without advertisements.

Support TFP!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.