Houston, TX
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
Hi guys,

I am trying to help a friend up in Canada get their pool issues sorted out. Unfortunately, they have definitely not been following the TFP methods.

That said, they have a K2006C kit and a speed stir on the way so we can actually find out what's going on. Now on to what's happening:

Pool type: Vinyl
Volume: 17600 gal
Chlorine used: the dreaded tabs...

They told me that the local pool store was testing their water and that they dumped whatever they were told into it, including a lot of algaecide and shock because they were losing the battle. Flash forward to now.

The local pool company winterized their pool and it was covered. They opened it last week and found a nasty purple surprise. There are purple stains along the walls and purple granules all over the bottom. As part of the debt winterizing, she has filled it back up but her pool guy has not reconnected the plumbing so it has not began circulating (Texas pool owner here so not very familiar with that process 😬)

1000023746.jpg
IMG-20240421-WA0009.jpg

In the mean time, she had the LPS test her water. They found copper to be at 0.3ppm, TA = 90, and CH = 150. No mention of the three we actually need (pH, FC, and CYA). Her Taylor kit will be there on Thurs. In the mean time she is trying to get as much purple goo out as she can.

My plan is:
1. Teach her how to test with the Taylor kit and find out what her CYA actually is. My guess is astronomical..
2. Drain/refill until we get CYA to 20-30.
3. Adjust pH to 7.2ish then SLAM pool.
4. Re-balance pool by adding baking soda and Calcium.
5. Try to get them on liquid.

I have read that there is not much that can be done about the purple stains but that they will go away eventually. If her copper really is high, do I need to use a sequestrant?

Any feedback on my plan would be appreciated!

She should get a water exchange going in the pool which will lower the CYA and copper levels.

I would not worry about baking soda and calcium at this point.

Clean fresh water is what her pool needs.

Last edited: