Coping that’s best for full sun and crazy east coast winters

Em P

Feb 13, 2020
New jersey
Hi, we are so close to being done with our new pool, just waiting on the coping. I picked out bluestone after being told I can’t have silver travertine but our contractor just mentioned in passing that this material might not be that awesome either because it gets super hot in direct sun. Any suggestions of a modern looking material that’s less hot on ur feet and hold up to crazy NJ winters?

Welcome to TFP.

What type of pool are you building? Please create your signature with details of your pool.

Are you asking about coping material or decking material? Coping runs around the top of the pool structure.

@jimmythegreek thoughts on coping?

Hot, yes, beautiful, yes. Never been a big concern for us though. A splash of water and all is good. I'm not sure I'd want my whole deck to be bluestone heat-wise. Our poured concrete is just enough cooler.

a cantilever coping or concrete pavers is mainly what we use. Im not a fan of irregular coping with mud joints, not sure what bluestone style or look you were thinking. bluestone is a form of limestone and anything in that family is a softer stone that can chip. precast concrete coping comes in any style and flavor, and its sealed easily with no issues of a salt enviroment or chlorine

Reactions: wireform
a cantilever coping or concrete pavers is mainly what we use. Im not a fan of irregular coping with mud joints, not sure what bluestone style or look you were thinking. bluestone is a form of limestone and anything in that family is a softer stone that can chip. precast concrete coping comes in any style and flavor, and its sealed easily with no issues of a salt enviroment or chlorine
Jimmy,

What kind of sealer would you use for the concrete coping and decking? Penetrating, polyurethane’s or acrylic sealer?

Our coping is bluestone and I never felt like it was terrible in the sun. I say go for it! (When the pool is in heavy use, the coping is wet, so that helps.)

I mainly use penetrating sealer as it doesnt change the color and protects it longer, wont peel up like top coats do when its time to redo it. I use alot of SRW products, they have a dual guard sealer that is penetrating and shine in one. any of the bigger brand names are good Ive never had a problem with any of them. let the concrete fully cure before you seal it and clean it first otherwise you seal in the dirt

Reactions: Aquaman7
I mainly use penetrating sealer as it doesnt change the color and protects it longer, wont peel up like top coats do when its time to redo it. I use alot of SRW products, they have a dual guard sealer that is penetrating and shine in one. any of the bigger brand names are good Ive never had a problem with any of them. let the concrete fully cure before you seal it and clean it first otherwise you seal in the dirt
Ok. Thanks Jimmy

Our coping is bluestone and I never felt like it was terrible in the sun. I say go for it! (When the pool is in heavy use, the coping is wet, so that helps.)
So is mine. Nobody stands there unless it’s the last step of a jump in. Anybody sitting there is wearing a suit so it doesn’t feel hot, or it could be wet down with a cannonball. Personally my favorite thing to do on a sunny day is to plant myself in a deep end corner with my arms stretched out on the hot coping. It’s like a heat massage on the back across the shoulder blades.

jimmy, thanks for pointing out that company, seems like they make a quality product. After a good cleaning, could I use that dual guard to give my concrete coping and exposed aggregate decking a refreshed look?

Whats the best way to clean my concrete, bleach and a rotary brush?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
No dont bleach it, leaves a residue can affect sealers. Use concrete cleaner or paver wash they work well. Read directions and follow them and will turn out good. Dual guard we use alot especially on coping. It penetrates well amd darkens a little. The sheen is a tiny bit slippery on smooth surfaces but shouldnt be an issue with concrete we do it all the time

Reactions: kevreh
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.