Coping that’s best for full sun and crazy east coast winters

Em P

Feb 13, 2020
New jersey
Hi, we are so close to being done with our new pool, just waiting on the coping. I picked out bluestone after being told I can’t have silver travertine but our contractor just mentioned in passing that this material might not be that awesome either because it gets super hot in direct sun. Any suggestions of a modern looking material that’s less hot on ur feet and hold up to crazy NJ winters?

bmoreswim

Mod Squad
Gold Supporter
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 16, 2012
Central MD
Hot, yes, beautiful, yes. Never been a big concern for us though. A splash of water and all is good. I'm not sure I'd want my whole deck to be bluestone heat-wise. Our poured concrete is just enough cooler.

jimmythegreek

TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
In The Industry
Aug 10, 2017
Morris Cnty NJ
a cantilever coping or concrete pavers is mainly what we use. Im not a fan of irregular coping with mud joints, not sure what bluestone style or look you were thinking. bluestone is a form of limestone and anything in that family is a softer stone that can chip. precast concrete coping comes in any style and flavor, and its sealed easily with no issues of a salt enviroment or chlorine

Reactions: wireform

Aquaman7

Sep 15, 2019
NNJ
a cantilever coping or concrete pavers is mainly what we use. Im not a fan of irregular coping with mud joints, not sure what bluestone style or look you were thinking. bluestone is a form of limestone and anything in that family is a softer stone that can chip. precast concrete coping comes in any style and flavor, and its sealed easily with no issues of a salt enviroment or chlorine
Jimmy,

What kind of sealer would you use for the concrete coping and decking? Penetrating, polyurethane’s or acrylic sealer?

lazygirl1978

Gold Supporter
Oct 20, 2018
Missouri
Our coping is bluestone and I never felt like it was terrible in the sun. I say go for it! (When the pool is in heavy use, the coping is wet, so that helps.)

jimmythegreek

TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
In The Industry
Aug 10, 2017
Morris Cnty NJ
I mainly use penetrating sealer as it doesnt change the color and protects it longer, wont peel up like top coats do when its time to redo it. I use alot of SRW products, they have a dual guard sealer that is penetrating and shine in one. any of the bigger brand names are good Ive never had a problem with any of them. let the concrete fully cure before you seal it and clean it first otherwise you seal in the dirt

Reactions: Aquaman7

Aquaman7

Sep 15, 2019
NNJ
I mainly use penetrating sealer as it doesnt change the color and protects it longer, wont peel up like top coats do when its time to redo it. I use alot of SRW products, they have a dual guard sealer that is penetrating and shine in one. any of the bigger brand names are good Ive never had a problem with any of them. let the concrete fully cure before you seal it and clean it first otherwise you seal in the dirt
Ok. Thanks Jimmy

Newdude

Jun 16, 2019
NY
Our coping is bluestone and I never felt like it was terrible in the sun. I say go for it! (When the pool is in heavy use, the coping is wet, so that helps.)
So is mine. Nobody stands there unless it’s the last step of a jump in. Anybody sitting there is wearing a suit so it doesn’t feel hot, or it could be wet down with a cannonball. Personally my favorite thing to do on a sunny day is to plant myself in a deep end corner with my arms stretched out on the hot coping. It’s like a heat massage on the back across the shoulder blades.