Coping repairable? (Thinking fat chance!)

ROC_pool

Aug 18, 2019
Western, NY
Been having "a time" dealing with this pool since I bought the house. The coping has been slowly separating from the concrete and is now well on it's way out. (One section is pulling, the balance of the perimeter is still miraculously in tact.) Is this even repairable??? Any thoughts would be appreciated!Pool Coping.jpg

Roc,

Show us a pic of the good spot...

I assume there way no actual coping, but it was just part of the deck that over hung the lip of the pool..

I am not familiar with they type of construction, but I suspect we have members that are...

Let's see what they have to say,

Jim R.

Reactions: ROC_pool
Roc,

Show us a pic of the good spot...

I assume there way no actual coping, but it was just part of the deck that over hung the lip of the pool..

I am not familiar with they type of construction, but I suspect we have members that are...

Let's see what they have to say,

Jim R.

Thanks for the quick reply. To your point, I'm only using "coping" despite mine not looking like anything that's returned when I've searched for a similar issue. I've attached a few more photos; nothing looks "great," but certainly doesn't have the same issues as what the problematic side is doing (for now, anyway!) Thanks again.

Attachments

• IMG-7737.JPG
    IMG-7737.JPG
    566.2 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG-7738.JPG
    IMG-7738.JPG
    620.7 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG-7739.JPG
    IMG-7739.JPG
    614.5 KB · Views: 58
ROC, can you post what type of pool you have, the equipment list on pad and how long your pool has been installed? It would also be nice to see any overall picture of the entire coping perimeter. I have no sense of the size of how much is bad, real bad, semi-good, etc.

I'm not even sure what it's supposed to look like. It certainly doesn't look like something that could be easily repaired though

A legit LOL indeed :) I've yet to see anything like it either, I just know it's supposed to be attached! As eluded in the string title, I think this will require a complete deck/coping/liner overhaul, but just wanted to check with some pros on here first before I moved forward. Thanks to you both for responding so quickly! A ton of good stuff on this board; glad I found it!

ROC,

My "gut" says that you can't just add new deck where the old one has fallen off... It appears to me that the existing deck would need to be cut back about 12 to 18" and then new decking installed that over hung the pool..

Not matter what, it looks like it will take a few $$$ bucks to solve.

Thanks,

Jim R.

ROC, can you post what type of pool you have, the equipment list on pad and how long your pool has been installed? It would also be nice to see any overall picture of the entire coping perimeter. I have no sense of the size of how much is bad, real bad, semi-good, etc.

Honestly, I don't know much, other than it was installed in 1970, with a few vinyl liner replacements in between. It's 16X32, assuming 20k gallons based on 3 ft shallow, 10 ft deep-end. The deck is obviously old and needs to be either replaced or resurfaced, since the area of concern had a tree right next to it that I had removed a few years ago. (The root being the culprit, not to mention having the tree itself be located within 5 feet of the concrete hovering over the pool!?)

ROC,

My "gut" says that you can't just add new deck where the old one has fallen off... It appears to me that the existing deck would need to be cut back about 12 to 18" and then new decking installed that over hung the pool..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Yes indeed. I don't think this will be a simple trip to ACE! Thanks again!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It looks to me like the pool has separated from the decking. In the pic 7739, it looks like the decking is straight while the edging supporting the liner is bowing inward.

What shape is the liner in and do you know how old the liner is?

It looks to me like the pool has separated from the decking. In the pic 7739, it looks like the decking is straight while the edging supporting the liner is bowing inward.

What shape is the liner in and do you know how old the liner is?
The liner is in decent shape for what it's been through (pool wasn't maintained or even opened some seasons by the previous owner.) No holes, but the corners on the shallow end have stretched out, leaving what looks to be air pockets on those ends. I think it was replaced in '07.

ROC,

Thanks,

Jim R.
Do you think it would be possible to cut the concrete back and add a coping stone or bullnose paver to the edge? Some retroactive masonry?

wow. This is going to be a huge undertaking. That coping was at one time screwed down onto the metal wall from how i see it. For some reason the coping has pulled away sideways and tore out those screws. You should be able to see the broken off screws IF they were even installed. The cement guys might have been ahead of the guy that was to screw the coping in place. If i see it as i said then this is going to be a "fun" job. IF the liner is still soft enough to be played with it can be removed from the coping, new coping installed and the liner put back in. The cement would need to be cut back just a few inches so the coping can lay flat and enough room to get in with a screw gun and the self drilling screws to attach it. Water would only need to be dropped a little if the liner is workable.

wow. This is going to be a huge undertaking. That coping was at one time screwed down onto the metal wall from how i see it. For some reason the coping has pulled away sideways and tore out those screws. You should be able to see the broken off screws IF they were even installed. The cement guys might have been ahead of the guy that was to screw the coping in place. If i see it as i said then this is going to be a "fun" job. IF the liner is still soft enough to be played with it can be removed from the coping, new coping installed and the liner put back in. The cement would need to be cut back just a few inches so the coping can lay flat and enough room to get in with a screw gun and the self drilling screws to attach it. Water would only need to be dropped a little if the liner is workable.

You nailed it on the head, from what I can see. There are some screws on the bottom of the piece, but nothing on the top, leading me to believe you're correct with the concrete being poured before the screws even had a chance. I probably won't mess with it this late in the season, but will plan on some loud noises coming from the backyard prior to any pool parties next season! Thanks for your input - much appreciated!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.