coping cracks. What should I use to fill gaps between tile and coping, coping and deck

Jul 20, 2013
Northeast
Hi there.
What should I use to fill the gaps ?
  1. I used Vulkem 45 for the gap between coping and deck, it worked well, but a few years back I was told Vulkem no longer recommends it (or any of their products) for the pool (don't remember where I heard that from, either the pool company I bought it from or the Vulkem manufacturer).
  2. I used Tile & Plaster Repair for the gap between coping and tile (recommended by local pool store), but it's cracking. I think silicone or polyurethane caulk should be used there. No?
what about coping cracks ?
  1. I used AccuColor unsanded grout to smooth it out and it worked OK, lasted a few years but I wonder if I should use something better.

Thanks

Last edited:
I'm curious about this also. My grout between my coping and pool wall is separated as well, plan on fully removing it and re grouting it at some point.

Depends on the design of your coping. Do you have cantilevered coping? How does the deck join with the coping?

Post some pics of your situation.

IDK if that one pic is good enough but these were some pics of some staining/calcium scaling I posted in another topic. The first pic of the group shows the rounded brick coping, if you look closely you can see some grout missing completely and where its still present it has separated from the coping.

So, what product should be used to fill the gap between the coping the tile?

I tried grout, it didn't last long. Maybe because deck is moving it pulls cooping with it?
I think silicone product should be used. Trying to figure out which kind.

thanks

Last edited:
Don’t use silicone for gaps around the pool. It will ruin the surface for ever using anything else.

Use a flexible mastic like Deck-O-Seal.

Don’t use silicone for gaps around the pool. It will ruin the surface for ever using anything else.

Use a flexible mastic like Deck-O-Seal.

I have two gaps to take care of -
  1. between coping and deck. That's the one where Deck-O-Seal should work (used vulkem 45 before)
  2. between tile and coping. That's the one I'd think silicone type should be used.

link
My deck been moving for a few years, but skimmer started cracking this season.
I don't know how skimmer is constructed, but I'm worried it can crack down further where the water is and crack pipe or elbow

Should I or can I do anything to prevent it from cracking down further?

Thanks

Last edited:
I don’t think you ever answered post #3.

One place should have Deck-O-Seal. The other mortar or grout. Silicone should not be used. .

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Post some pics of the skimmer, cracks, and the deck area.

Without seeing it you probably need to stabilize the deck. Maybe you can chip away a gap around the skimmer so the deck does not press on it.

I think you need to dig down to remove pressure on the skimmer from the deck and ground.

Yup, that triangle piece of deck you have the arrow pointing to is pressing on the skimmer. While you can see a gap between the deck and tke skimmer on the opposite side. With your deck moving none of it should be tight against the skimmer.

You need to create a gap around the skimmer and then fill it in with a flexible mastic like Deck-O-Seal.

Yup, that triangle piece of deck you have the arrow pointing to is pressing on the skimmer. While you can see a gap between the deck and tke skimmer on the opposite side. With your deck moving none of it should be tight against the skimmer.

You need to create a gap around the skimmer and then fill it in with a flexible mastic like Deck-O-Seal.
Are you saying I may need to remove more than just that triangle piece?
Is there any way to remove the plastic ring around the skimmer and somehow remove what's pressing the skimmer without removing the actual triangle piece? If so, how?

I don't think I can do it myself, unless it's very easy... how much this work should cost? how many hours should it take?

thanks.

I can't judge from pictures how tight things are, what pressure there is, and what it is going to take or cost.

It is the type of problem you need to start into and see what you find.

@jimmythegreek what do you think?

...The other mortar or grout. Silicone should not be used. .
but it's breaking, it won't last long. deck is moving a lot, it seems like more now than 5-10 years ago. coping is cracking everywhere. That's why I was thinking of something flexible, like polyurethane caulk or silicone, hoping it'd last a little longer.

I used "Tile and Plaster repair" I have on the picture to fill the gap between tile and coping. It didn't last long

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.