C&A'smom

Aug 11, 2021
Memphis
We are currently installing a pool and have some major problems with the concrete and coping. There are major aesthetic issues with the concrete but in addition to that, the concrete had a lot of honeycomb areas visible along the coping. and exterior edge. We are extremely concerned about the long term impact of this on the life of our pool and concrete. The pool company's solution was just to patch holes with concrete that is already coming out in chunks. I was hoping to get some advice as to whether or not we are overreacting and if not, ways this can be fixed (long term not just a band-aid). I will attach photos...

Attachments

• unnamed (1).jpg
    unnamed (1).jpg
    625.6 KB · Views: 103
  • unnamed (2).jpg
    unnamed (2).jpg
    609.4 KB · Views: 102
  • unnamed (3).jpg
    unnamed (3).jpg
    776.1 KB · Views: 102
  • unnamed (4).jpg
    unnamed (4).jpg
    701.4 KB · Views: 101
  • unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    774.8 KB · Views: 101
  • bad patch job.jpg
    bad patch job.jpg
    694.9 KB · Views: 99
  • crappy patch 1.jpg
    crappy patch 1.jpg
    488.1 KB · Views: 95
  • crappy patch 2.jpg
    crappy patch 2.jpg
    553.9 KB · Views: 91
  • crappy patch 3.jpg
    crappy patch 3.jpg
    693.8 KB · Views: 92
  • crappy patch.jpg
    crappy patch.jpg
    679.2 KB · Views: 105
I would have them just parge the whole face of the coping so it looks consistent, wouldn't be worried about structural issues as that is super common to happen on concrete forms. In fact it's proof your concrete didn't have excessive water added to it

I don't think I've ever seen worse cement coping!!? That is totally unacceptable. You deserve a rip out and fix done by a better crew that the ones that did this mess. (and I'm often forgiving for small slight hiccups in finishes, so this says a lot)

Maddie :flower:
Nothing is perfect, but it could certainly be a lot better than what we are seeing here!

Yes, they didn’t tap the forms with a hammer or use a vibrating tool to eliminate voids against the forms. Ugly, but probably not a sign of a structural issue. However, I do agree that patching it will not be a great long term solution - so the parge idea is potentially the best way to get a consistent look. Well, that or demo all of the concrete…

Dan

Reactions: KJB1
Also keep in mind that whatever new cement that they add to the existing cement will never match in color.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.