Converting to SWG on Remodeled Pool / Where to mount controller?

Jun 23, 2018
Apple Valley, MN
Hi Everyone, I just remodeled my pool last year. We replaced the pool deck, liner, stairs, skimmers and diving board. As part of that I made the decision to switch to SWG as the chlorine prices are crazy high this year. Best I can find is like 4.50 to 5 bucks a gallon for 12.5% in my area (MN). I've got ~30000 gallon pool so it gets expensive. I've got a nice 2 foot length after my heater to add the SWG, but I don't know how I should mount my controller. I have a VS pump that runs 24/7, so so I don't have an existing timer or automation and will just hook it up to constant power and let it run 24/7 at a lower output. The equipment pad is exposed, as it's in like the middle of my backyard. There is some tree cover for shade, so can I get by using a 4x4 pole and mount to that?

20230503_101110.jpg

Last edited:
I have mine mounted on metal stakes next to the pump
(Forget what they are called but they have holes to attach the box too)
Doesn’t have to be wood per se.

Attachments

• IMG_0720.jpeg
    IMG_0720.jpeg
    790.5 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0723.jpeg
    IMG_0723.jpeg
    729.9 KB · Views: 19
Reactions: Dman1191
One thing to consider is making some sort of small roof type cover if it's in direct sunlight to help keep it cooler.
How is your pump getting power today? Is there a breaker box or some sort of panel on the pad?

One thing to consider is making some sort of small roof type cover if it's in direct sunlight to help keep it cooler.
How is your pump getting power today? Is there a breaker box or some sort of panel on the pad?
If you look at the pic by the heater you can see a small electrical outlet box. There are breakers in my house for these circuits. I have one circuit for the pump and another for the outlet, one of which the heater is hooked up too.

Ps on the SWG - as I understand you still want something besides the flow switch to be a safety on the SWG so that if pump dies the SWG doesn’t remain under constant power. Some of the experts here may chime in…

Reactions: Mdragger88
Ps on the SWG - as I understand you still want something besides the flow switch to be a safety on the SWG so that if pump dies the SWG doesn’t remain under constant power. Some of the experts here may chime in…
You are saying an additional safety measure in addition to the flow sensor? I guess I haven't heard that before, but if someone has an idea let me know.

As long as the SWCG is wired to the switch for the pump, no need for a timer. A timer is needed when the pump can be scheduled to not run and the SWCG stays powered.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You are saying an additional safety measure in addition to the flow sensor? I guess I haven't heard that before, but if someone has an idea let me know.
Yes- a timer if you’re not running the pump 24/7 you would synchronize it with the pump’s schedule.
Also the swg should be on the same power source as the pump so if the breaker for the pump trips the swg will be turned off also.

I misunderstood the first post then I thought you were wiring the SWG to constant power on with no off….

I misunderstood the first post then I thought you were wiring the SWG to constant power on with no off….
Originally, I was going to wire it with a 3 prong to a grounded outlet and would unplug it when not using the pump, which is rare. If folks don't think that is a good option, then I'll just wire it to the pump switch and if the pump trips the breaker then the SWG will also turn off. I just assumed the flow sensor would suffice, if I had it connect to a grounded outlet.

Originally, I was going to wire it with a 3 prong to a grounded outlet and would unplug it when not using the pump, which is rare. If folks don't think that is a good option, then I'll just wire it to the pump switch and if the pump trips the breaker then the SWG will also turn off. I just assumed the flow sensor would suffice, if I had it connect to a grounded outlet.
You might also consider a smart plug or outlet incase you find you only need to run the SWG 10 hours even on the lowest setting.

Reactions: Mdragger88
The threads on SWG explosions made an impression on me when i was thinking about buying one. If the flow switch fails and the SWG is generating without flow you have gas building up in the SWG. The point was to think about backup for flow switch as well esp if running without timer. Take it fwiw

With the exception of only a few models, every instruction manual that I have read for swg's recommends that the device be connected only to the load side of a timer or a relay to ensure that it does not receive power when the pump is not running.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.