Converting swamp to pool (pics included)

Very sorry for the delay everyone, my only excuse is that we got very frustrated with it. The water is mostly clear now, we can almost see to the bottom of the deep end, and the amount of dirt and leaves down there is still ridiculous. We tried using one of those vacuums that hooks up to the skimmer to get the dirt out, but we could hardly get it to work. We got all the air out of the hose and tried a bunch of different valve settings, but it would rarely work. Most of the time there was either no suction or so much suction I couldn't pry the thing off the floor without turning the pump off. Eventually the vacuum head broke :(

The other problem is that we know for sure we have a leak. One night we accidentally left the backwash valve open :oops: and when we woke up the water was below the skimmer. While it was down there we found about 5 holes in the liner at the water level or a little below. I patched them up with a repair kit and we filled the pool back up. After that the water didn't leak anymore. But then a couple of days later we wake up and the water is right at the bottom of the skimmer. Using a previous suggestion of plugging up the skimmers with winterizing tubes, we think we've narrowed the problem down to a leak in one of the skimmer pipes. We called a pool company about fixing it and they wanted $380 just to come out and find the leak, and then $1100 to fix it. We're at a loss right now. :(

The skimmer that suddenly has a leak in it is the same one we were trying to vacuum with earlier, is it possible that damaged the pipe somehow?

I know it's disheartening but don't get completely discouraged.

If your vacuuming had anything to do with it leaking (which I highly doubt) it was already on the verge and would have leaked soon anyway.

Maybe you could dig up the piping a bit and find the leak yourself.

Have you try your local American Leak Detection company?
http://www.americanleakdetection.com/

My pool was losing 1 inch per day after I drain and refill it.
BTW, that is what I get for completely drain the vinyl pool.
Don't do that.

My local American Leak Detection company quote me flat rate $375 for detect and fix
the leak up to 5 patches, including fixture like drain and skimmer. I am not
sure about the pipe though.

Any way. The local owner comes to service my pool today. He find
two holes right away, using some specialized electronic gear.

I am very impressed. I have been using food coloring in
that area and I did not find it. The bigger hole is obvious once I know
where to put the color. The smaller one is impossible for me to find
by myself. It is barely drawing food coloring even if I know where
to look.

I was suspecting the drain. It turn out the drain is fine. He has some
specialized tools to test it as well. Very clever.

I was charged $275, less than the quote price because no
diving is required. I am very happy.

I wouldn't use Fix A Leak unless you are desperate and even then I would have second thoughts. Fix A Leak can work miracles and it can also do nothing, or destroy your pool equipment. You have to be very careful when using it, it can destroy a filter or heater if you forget to bypass the filter and heater, it can also cause problems with several kinds of water features. It is almost always worth the extra effort to dig up the pipes, or do whatever you have to do, instead of using Fix A Leak.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We're trying to get someone to come over and give us a quote but we can't get anyone to call us back, I guess they're all busy. The original company was also booked up for three weeks. We tried running just the other skimmer and the main drain but there's air getting in so we can't do that anymore. I guess the skimmer valve is a little faulty. Another idea we had to get around that was to disconnect the the one skimmer line from the valve, and just screw in an end to stop any water flow. Assuming we can get the plumbing apart I don't see any reason this won't work.

Geez, I don't know how I missed this thread :scratch: Just read it and now I too am hanging on a limb. ntshclr where are you :?: We all want to see the fruits of your labor :-D

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.