Converting from Natural Gas to Electric

ryanho87

May 5, 2020
San Bruno, CA
What are some potential downside to converting from a natural gas heater to electric?

I just moved into a house with a pool and Solar Panels (not a solar pool heater). After living here for a month, I've heated the pool/hot tub 4 times and ended up incurring a $160 gas bill from doing that which seems kind of high to me. Since my solar panels are currently generating more electric power we consume (119 excess kWh last month), I think it might make sense for me to convert to an electric heater.

I'm mainly looking to be able to heat the spa (~400 gallons) up a few times a month and am not looking to maintain a higher temperature for my pool.

How many BTUs is your gas heater?

Downside of a HP is it will heat your spa slower and may not heat it at all as air temperature falls into the 50s.

Gas is a better on demand heater. HP is a better maintain a given temperature heater.

Use your gas heater for only heating your spa like you say the HP will be used and the gas bill will be a lot lower. You have a sunken cost with your existing gas heater. Only heat your spa for a month or two and see what the gas bill is. Then figure out how many months it will take to break even on the HP cost.

I've done some research and I don't think I'd be looking at a heat pump since those seem to be geared more towards maintaining a higher overall temp in the pool. I'm more looking at on demand heating just for my spa. I found a few electric heaters that resemble tankless water heaters. Maybe something like this Raypak. Does anyone have any experience with these for on demand heating?

A typical gas heater (400K BTU) will heat a regular size spa about 1 degree/minute. Assuming you are bringing the water up from 70 to 100 degrees it will take about 30 minutes with a gas heater. The Raypack (27KW 92K BTU) will take over 4 times as long almost 2 hours. So after 2 uses you will zero out your monthly banked electricity. Is it worth the investment?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.