Tucson, AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pureline Crystal Pure 60,000
I have a Hayward DE 6020 filter and want to go to cartridge. Since the outside shell is the same as the C5030 cartridge filter and that’s by far the most expensive parts, can I just replace the insides? It looks like it would be a few hundred dollars vs 1k or more. Has anyone done it? What part #s would I need, and is it a practical idea?

$1000 seems kind of high for a cartridge filter. Are you looking at online prices or calling up local shops?

$1000 seems kind of high for a cartridge filter. Are you looking at online prices or calling up local shops?

The C5030 seems to cost around $1,300 online. The four filter cartridges alone are about $260.

The C5030 seems to cost around $1,300 online. The four filter cartridges alone are about $260.

Yeah. The similarly size Pentair goes for around $1,200....maybe wait until the end of the season when the sales are happening. Now is not a good time to buy pool equipment.

It looks like I could buy all the parts to convert it to a c5030 for about $375, plus about $200 for a set of filter cartridge. If I don’t convert I will still need to replace my current DE grid pack which also costs about $200. So converting is less than 1/2 of cost of a new one.

However, many of the parts for the older model c5025 are readily available (and cheaper) from third party venders, so converting it to a c5025 could save an additional $50-100. They both use the same shell, same cartridges and are both 525 sq ft. Does anyone know why I would prefer one model over the other?

Also, for some unknown reason, It appears the input and outlet are reversed on cartridge filters vs DE. That means I would have to re plumb if I convert, even though I’m not changing the actual filter.

Last edited:
I made a similar change, though mine was more Frankensteined. I had a neighbor with a Pentair 520 sqft filter that had a cracked housing. I stole the internal parts and tinkered around to get them to fit in my Hayward DE housing. I did not remove the backwash value or switch the inlet / outlet valves. It was originally going to be an experiment to see if it would work, and I planned to go back and replumb everything later - but it's been about 3 years now and it works perfectly fine, so I haven't messed with it.

When it's time to replace the filter cartridges, I may more over to 'official' Hayward parts. I love not having to mess with the DE mess.

As crazy as it sounds check eBay..I bought be if my Hayward cartridge filters from them and it was a lot less then any other online place I could find.
Just check the reviews of the seller in case you have any issues.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.