Convert Slip Fitting To Threaded

Is the pool already built?

If there are just 1-1/2 PVC pipes in the wall for returns, then any slip-to-threaded adapted is either going to seriously reduce the diameter of the opening OR you’re going to have a big chunk of PVC protruding from the wall.

Can you show some pictures of your returns and the Paramount fitting you want to use?

Look up PVC reducer bushings. Those are what you want.

Last edited:
Reactions: franks59
Look at these as an option. These "self-aligning slip" fittings press in to 1.5" PVC.

Is the pool already built?

If there are just 1-1/2 PVC pipes in the wall for returns, then any slip-to-threaded adapted is either going to seriously reduce the diameter of the opening OR you’re going to have a big chunk of PVC protruding from the wall.

Can you show some pictures of your returns and the Paramount fitting you want to use?

Look up PVC reducer bushings. Those are what you want.
Yes, it was built by the previous owners around 1998.

Here's a pic of the pipe in the wall and a fitting I removed. I don't know why there's electrical tape on the fitting. It must be something the pool company did during opening or closing.

And here is a link to what I want to install: SwingJet Adjustable Oscillating Cleaning Wall Jet

Return-1.jpgReturn-2.jpg

Last edited:
Look at these as an option. These "self-aligning slip" fittings press in to 1.5" PVC.

Thanks. I'll look into it.

Do you have these?
I can't find what "self-aligning" means. Does that mean you can put them in, say upside down and they will automatically turn themselves to point down?

My guess is the friction fit slip fitting kept popping off and the pool company or owner hacked a solution for more friction by adding the tape. There’s a lot of water force coming out of return pipes and so I’ve often thought those types of friction fits are just a very poor solution.

@Rancho Cost-a-Lotta ’s suggestion is probably the best turnkey solution. Unfortunately if you want to permanently turn those 1-1/2” pipes into thread, there’s no easy way to do it. Either you have to glue a threaded PVC bushing into the pipe which will severely restrict the opening OR you have to glue a slip male X threaded female adapter into the pipe and there will be a big chunk of plastic hanging off the wall.

I don’t think there’s enough “meat” to the PVC pipe to tap it with threading nor would the internal diameter match any kind of standard PVC fitting.

My guess is the friction fit slip fitting kept popping off and the pool company or owner hacked a solution for more friction by adding the tape. There’s a lot of water force coming out of return pipes and so I’ve often thought those types of friction fits are just a very poor solution.

@Rancho Cost-a-Lotta ’s suggestion is probably the best turnkey solution. Unfortunately if you want to permanently turn those 1-1/2” pipes into thread, there’s no easy way to do it. Either you have to glue a threaded PVC bushing into the pipe which will severely restrict the opening OR you have to glue a slip male X threaded female adapter into the pipe and there will be a big chunk of plastic hanging off the wall.

I don’t think there’s enough “meat” to the PVC pipe to tap it with threading nor would the internal diameter match any kind of standard PVC fitting.
Ok, thanks.

This link shows a 1-1/2” slip (glue) to 1” threaded reducer bushing -

The only problem is you have to find a wall return fitting that is 1” threaded male and that may be very non-standard so your choices would be limited.

This link shows a 1-1/2” slip (glue) to 1” threaded reducer bushing -

The only problem is you have to find a wall return fitting that is 1” threaded male and that may be very non-standard so your choices would be limited.
Thanks. I ordered the Infusion product suggested by @Rancho Cost-a-Lotta

Reactions: JoyfulNoise

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.