Bronze Supporter
Jun 10, 2018
North Central PA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I need to add MA to my pool. I can only find the 20% stuff locally right now. Does anyone know the conversion factor between the 20% stuff and the 31.45%? I thought I remembered seeing it discussed on the forum in the past, but can't locate it now (as in: Anybody seen my keys, glasses, etc.) I realize it's probably simple math, but I left that behind me 50 years ago. :unsure:

At any rate, I'm having a senior moment and could use the help.

Thanks!
G.

Looking at the pool math app because I'm not an expert at muriatic acid. I don't see a 20% version, there is a 31.45% - 20° Baume version.

I suspect it’s 20 Baume like @Rhanna said but if it’s actually 20 percent then calculate for 31.5% and multiply that amount by 1.575

for example, 1 gallon of 31.5% = 1.575 gallons of 20%. Or cups, quarts, whatevs. :)

First and foremost, make sure you are reading the bottle correctly. Are you sure you are looking at a 20% concentration and not a 20° Baume? Because 20° Baume IS 31.45%

Once confirmed, the factor is very simple:
Use 31.45% as you baseline.
Then divide it by the %'age you can get your hands on (in this case 20%):
31.45 / 20 = 1.5725
That is your "factor"

Now if you have already determined that you need say 16 oz of the 31.45% stuff to achieve your pH goal (this is just an example), then you Multiply 16 times your factor above to determine how much of the 20% stuff to put in:

16 X 1.5725 = 25.16 Ozs

In this scenario you would need to add 25.16ozs of the 20% stuff to achive the same goal as adding 16 ozs of the 31.45% stuff.

We can logically say this makes sense as you clearly need MORE of the lower concentration to achieve the same with the higher concentration. In this case, 25.16 is indeed greater than 16. So it makes sense.

How much more?

25.16 is X% of 16
25.16 = x * 16
<do algebra and divide both side by 16 to get x alone>
25.16/16 = x
1.5725 = x

Bingo!

But please please please make sure you are really dealing with a 20% concentration Muriatic Acid. because I have never seen that.

Reactions: Newdude
Thanks to all. Yes, it is definitely 20%, and not 20 Baume. Supposedly 90% less fumes, while not watered all the way down to 15%. About the same price as the high test, though (must be a lot of work getting that water in there!) I looked up the MDS on the manufacturer's web site. It is Kleen Strip Green made by the MW Barr Co., Memphis, Tn.

I have actually seen this stuff before when buying my regular 31.45% MA. Never really looked into it because they had my normal package. I'm going to pin this thread, though, in case I ever need it again.

Incidentally, folks, my wife and I are raising three of our grandkids; 17, 12, and 11. They have all read this thread, and they are having a ball laughing at Grandpa because he couldn't remember his math. I'm afraid I may be on the verge of being discharged from the Home School faculty. ;)

Thanks, again!
G.

Reactions: Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.