Bronze Supporter
May 24, 2023
Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello! I completed my conversion from Baquacil to chlorine and I’m very happy about it. 🥳 My pool looks great and feels great. I did run into a small issue when my just-over-one-year-old Hayward pump started leaking at the shaft. 😢 I don’t know if that had anything to do with the conversion but regardless, it’s fine now. I found out pretty quickly that getting someone to replace the seals was going to be difficult and expensive so I bought a repair kit and did it myself! 😁 (proud of me). No more leaking.
Now here’s my question:
I’ve been checking the FC every evening when the sun is low and it’s been zero after a day of sun. My CYA is 40. So I’ve been adding chlorine every evening and in the morning sometimes it has dropped a bit, so I add the recommended amount to bring it up.
Will I need to check FC daily and add chlorine every day? Or is something else going on?
I did change out my filter after passing the overnight test twice and the CC has always been <.5
I also plan to add borates but wanted to get the conversion completed before doing anything else.
TIA.

Yes you test and add daily. After a while you'll expect it to be X everyday, and you'll be right more often than not. Then you can just add the inbetween dose without testing every other day or double dose and skip a day. Ironically, paying more attention to start makes for much easier pool care later.

Screenshot_20230304_131304_Chrome.jpg

The chart above, nor our belovedPoolMath, doesn't know you are losing 4 ppm a day in July, or 1 ppm a day in November. It's up to you to add these up :

Minimum FC +
Your recent daily loss +
1 or 2 FC wiggle room
-------------------------------------
= Trouble free pool

You will dose so that you are still free and clear above minimum at the next test/dose time. Minimum sounds way to OK for my liking. It's lava. Don't touch it, don't breathe it, don't get closeup selfies. You will be burned.

Keep us posted and we'll help. :)

Last edited:
Oh yeah! I totally forgot to get a pic! 🤦‍♀️ I’ll get one today. Pool is doing great! If not a teensy bit warm. We used to have a great canopy of shade which helped keep the water nice and cool but the ice storm in February was horribly damaging to the trees around here and now my pool is in full sun much of the day 😢
With 105°+ temps it’s an oven out there. Still, better than a vat of algae and goo 🤣

Oh yeah! I totally forgot to get a pic! 🤦‍♀️ I’ll get one today. Pool is doing great! If not a teensy bit warm. We used to have a great canopy of shade which helped keep the water nice and cool but the ice storm in February was horribly damaging to the trees around here and now my pool is in full sun much of the day 😢
With 105°+ temps it’s an oven out there. Still, better than a vat of algae and goo 🤣
Here’s a pic. 🩵

IMG_6469.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
@katwhen31
I just noticed your
PoolMath logs & that your fc recently dipped below minimum 😳
IMG_6882.jpeg
Possibly due to your recent calcium addition.
Keep that fc up around high target to avoid playing kissy face with algae.
For future reference you don’t need to add calcium to your pool. You’re in the “do not add category”
Low ch is not a problem for a vinyl pool but high ch is a problem for everyone.
Many in your locale have higher ch fill water already so the ch level in your pool will likely increase over time anyway.

Hey. Thanks for reaching out. I did add the calcium for two reasons: 1) I had a small amount left from a previous season, and 2) I like the way the water feels with a bit more calcium in it. I’m not planning to add more.
Also my FC gets cooked off every day because I live in Texas and it is an inferno these days.
I don’t always add the chlorine at night and even if I do, I test every morning and add whatever is needed. I don’t usually test after so my logs don’t show the results.
My pool seems to have stabilized a bit and it’s holding chlorine overnight which for a few weeks after converting it wasn’t.
Thanks again! 😁

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I don’t always add the chlorine at night and even if I do, I test every morning and add whatever is needed.
Tomato, Tahmato. People get too hung up on when they're adding IMO. Whether you pre-dose it today, or last night, the key is you gave yourself enough FC to make it until the next add with some wiggle room.

If this is the worst thing we debate today, it was a good day. :)

That spray will make your PH rise. Aeration will do this. Just keep an eye on it.
Yeah, I do know that. It also really helps it stay cool. It’s been so blazing hot here and everyone’s pools are like bath water. Not very refreshing. We lost a lot of our shade in the ice storm last February so my pool is warmer than it used to be.

Hopefully after your ta is around 60 the ph will stabilize some. I run my fountain all through the summer & it doesn’t budge my ph anymore really.

Reactions: katwhen31
That’s right where mine is this year- 70 & 7.8, has been solid all season.
After I filled the pool initially 5 years ago I got ta to 60 & ph to 7.6 & it stayed there for the past 4 seasons.

Reactions: katwhen31
That’s right where mine is this year- 70 & 7.8, has been solid all season.
After I filled the pool initially 5 years ago I got ta to 60 & ph to 7.6 & it stayed there for the past 4 seasons.
So nothing to change then I guess. I am going to raise the CYA to 50 and see if it does anything with the TC.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.