Conversion Baquacil to Chlorine

How many days does the conversion normally take also my ph keeps creeping up I added more acid, I hope that was ok ?
Note* Ph readings at fc levels above 10ppm are invalid so ignore that until we get farther along & aren’t trying to maintain 15ppm.
That is why it is instructed to lower ph before beginning.

Reactions: ghall6292
Hi Mellison, looks like you might have this Baqua-goo project on the move. Nice job so far!

Just wondering, what testing did you use to find your FC at 1.2? It's usually a whole number followed by a "0" or a ".5", unless it is a pool store test or test strips. Hopefully it works, but make certain to verify your test results, if possible.

As I mentioned, our pool is exactly like yours. I added Baquacil for the last time in Sept., near the close of the season. I also drained down about 6" at closing and began my conversion upon opening in May of the following year, just as you have. We also are on a well and did not want to drain our pool down. My conversion took about 4-5 days and I used around 22 gallons of chlorine to get rid of the Baqua-goo. Plus, LOTS of brushing and backwashing, etc. But our climate in northern PA is much different than yours in GA, so there's that.

All pools are different, and hopefully you have lucked into an easy conversion. (y) Just be sure to follow the methodology and make certain you have passed all the criteria before you stop. Otherwise, all the work you have done and the money you've spent thus far is down the drain, and you'll be no closer than you were when you started. :poop:

Whatever you do, don't get discouraged and go "pool-storing" for help. They will only "help" lighten your wallet and give you a new (unsolvable) puzzle to solve. If you do run into any issues and need help or just need encouragement, you are in the right place.

On the other hand, if you are at, or near the end, congratulations!

Enjoy your summer with your "new " friendlier pool.

Reactions: Newdude
Note* Ph readings at fc levels above 10ppm are invalid so ignore that until we get farther along & aren’t trying to maintain 15ppm.
That is why it is instructed to lower ph before beginning.
Yes I lowered it before beginning. So is it ok to add acid if needed. I added chlorine this morning to level and when I got home it was really low again I added more just now. Ph looks good for now. It is nice and clear when I added liquid chlorine there was no color change. It is 90 degrees today and very sunny!

So far, so good. I really wouldn't be too concerned with pH for right now. That # is going to bounce around as your Chlorine gets bolstered (by you) and diminished (by Baq.) From my experience, pH is fairly easy to get back on track at any given time. And besides, balancing your chemicals is actually Step #9 of 9 in the conversion process. Sounds like you're more than 2/3 done, hopefully.

Something to consider- with the weekend coming, and seeing how well you've done so far, if you could test and add chlorine every hour or so, you could be totally done with the chemical part really quickly. When nearing the completion of my conversion, I spent one night (sitting in a deck chair and using my cell phone alarm to wake me up) doing just that. AND, my wife didn't even have me committed! Win-win, right? ;)

You would then just need to pass the overnight part of the process, along with the two consecutive days of low CC's, and Baquacil would be behind you forever. Just don't get in a hurry (I know; it's tempting!) or skip any steps. Sounds like the worst is pretty much behind you now. Stay the course and good luck!

Gary

Reactions: Mdragger88
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.