Controlling pump with phone and schedule

hitech_hillbilly

Mar 7, 2021
NW Arkansas
Pool Size
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I was really hoping I'd be able to put my pump on a wemo switch (controlling a contactor) but their switches can't be used outdoors.

Does anyone have a good setup that will let you control and schedule the pump with your phone?

See if this does what you want...

Reactions: hitech_hillbilly

National Electrical Code 2011​

Article 404 Switches​

404.4 Damp or Wet Locations. A surface-mounted switch or circuit breaker in a damp or wet location shall be enclosed in a weatherproof enclosure or cabinet that shall comply with 312.2. A flush-mounted switch or circuit breaker in a damp or wet location shall be equipped with a weatherproof cover. Switches shall not be installed within wet locations in tub or shower spaces unless installed as part of a listed tub or shower assembly.

So just get one of these maybe?

I'm using a GE Z-Wave Plus 40-Amp Indoor/Outdoor Smart Switch to control the pump. I use it with a SmartThings controller, but it works is most Z-Wave+ controllers.
On top of that I'm using a DS18B20 probe connected to a Fibaro Smart Implant to read the pool water temperature.
My pump starts on a schedule every day early morning. I have an SmartThings automation to stop the pump if it was running for over 4 hours and the pool temperature is above my desired setting.
My pool and setup are pretty new, but it is working like a charm so far.

Everything DIYed by code and with final electrical approval :)

That looks neat. Mind describing it?

Basically I'm just using Wemo outdoor smart switch to control a contactor.

Going counter clockwise from the bottom left:

An on/off switch to kill power when it comes in (safety reasons and to make it easier to mess with later if I need to change something)

A voltage/amperage/power/energy use meter. Good for monitoring motor current and energy use.

Some terminals to distribute power. Red is hot, black is neutral.

Din rail mounted outlet for the Wemo.

Contactor for the motor.

Wemo outdoor smart switch.

Pretty simple setup. It lets me turn the pump on with my phone, even through my Apple watch. I can also setup a schedule in the app or use an auto off timer. Right now I have it setup to run for 6 hours after I turn it on.

When the deck gets done I'm going to add an air switch to override the Wemo. Same setup as a hot tub or garbage disposal. Let's you put a switch near water. That way I can turn it on from up on the deck.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.