Controlling Pentair Intelliflo Remotely via Wifi

Poolnewb105

Apr 6, 2019
Ny
Hey guys, I was hoping you could help me find a solution to my problem.

I have a Pentair Intelliflo VS pump and am looking to control 4 speeds remotely via WiFi. I do not have any sort of pool automation system installed and I have an independent device which allows me to control my pool heater via WiFi. Do you guys know of any sort of way that I can take the communication wires coming out or the Intelliflo and wire them to a device that can communicate via WiFi without having to install a automation system which I don't need?

I saw the Intellicom module can do this but then needs to be wired to an automation system. I'm willing to go that route but would rather purchase a small wifi controller or something, not a whole automation panel. For instance, can I connect the Intellicom to an iAqualink?

For what it's worth, I just need to control 1 program on the intelliflo, I do not need control of all 4. Thank you so very much!

Last edited:

The IntelliCom does not need an automation system..

It just needs from 1 to 4 discrete inputs that could come from 1 to 4 relays. If you know of a WiFi system that can turn on a relay, or relays, then that would work to trigger the IntelliCom to tell the pump what speed, or speeds, to run.

Thanks,

Jim R.

If you have any sort of IT background this is fairly easy to do with a raspberry pi and a RS-485 dongle. If running a bunch of Linux commands is something that sounds over your head then best not to try.

The IntelliCom does not need an automation system..

It just needs from 1 to 4 discrete inputs that could come from 1 to 4 relays. If you know of a WiFi system that can turn on a relay, or relays, then that would work to trigger the IntelliCom to tell the pump what speed, or speeds, to run.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Thank you so much for your help. Could you possibly help me determine how a wifi relay switch such as this (MHCOZY Updated WiFi Wireless Smart Switch Inching Self-locking Relay Module, Set Inching Time from 0.5 second to 10 Hours, be applied to access control, DIY WIFI Garage Door Opener (5V) - - Amazon.com) would wire to the Intellicom? I just need to run Program 1.

Attachments

• 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 36
  • Screenshot_20200522-082950_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20200522-082950_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 32
If you are interested in the Intellcom route then you might want a 4 relay switch and then you could control the 4 speeds.

Could you possibly tell me how the normally open, normally closed and common terminals on this 4 channel wifi switch (4 Channel WiFi Momentary Inching Relay Self-Lock Switch Module, DIY WiFi Garage Door Controller (5-32V) - - Amazon.com) connect 4 program terminals? I know the Intellicom comes with some sort of proprietary connector. I'm assuming I'd have to splice that off on that end that connects to the relay switch.

Unfortunately I dont know much about the Intellicom. If it is just a matter of closing a connection on one of the 4 inputs then yes you would just cut the end of the connector and wire it to the comm and NO side of the relay.

There are people here who know the Intellicom way better and they will probably pipe in.

Unfortunately I dont know much about the Intellicom. If it is just a matter of closing a connection on one of the 4 inputs then yes you would just cut the end of the connector and wire it to the comm and NO side of the relay.

There are people here who know the Intellicom way better and they will probably pipe in.

Ok so nothing gets wired to the NC terminal on the relay? There's a red and black wire coming out of the Intellicom for each program, which wire goes to NO and which to Comm? Thanks.

Poolnewb,

What functionality are you actually trying to do? Just turn on and off with remote wifi app or something like that? Or go to a different speed after it starts?

Chris

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Again, not really knowing the Intellicom, but black is usually Comm. However, if the relay is just shorting the two connections then it doesn’t really matter.

Just looked at a bad picture of the Intellicom and it looks like you may have to apply a voltage and not just short the wires. This complicates matters a little bit as you will need another transformer to apply that voltage.

Poolnewb,

What functionality are you actually trying to do? Just turn on and off with remote wifi app or something like that? Or go to a different speed after it starts?

Chris
I just want to be able to switch the pump to a specific rpm from my phone. I'd program that room to program 1. So I just need a way to initiate program 1 from my phone at any time.

Again, not really knowing the Intellicom, but black is usually Comm. However, if the relay is just shorting the two connections then it doesn’t really matter.

Just looked at a bad picture of the Intellicom and it looks like you may have to apply a voltage and not just short the wires. This complicates matters a little bit as you will need another transformer to apply that voltage.
By my primitive understanding of this matter, I'd get a 24v DC transformer which wires to the red and black on Intellicom, then yellow and green communication wires attach to the intellicom from pump, then red wire from program 1 terminal wires to NO on relay switch and black from program 1 wires to comm? There's also obviously a 5v power adapter plugged into the relay switch. Do I have this right?

Last edited:
Do you have Alexa or similar? If so I think a dirt cheap way to do it is to use a Smartplug to turn on/off a 24vac transformer. The 24 vac signal can be an input to Intellicom that will turn on a specific speed.

Chris

Reactions: Katodude
Do you have Alexa or similar? If so I think a dirt cheap way to do it is to use a Smartplug to turn on/off a 24vac transformer. The 24 vac signal can be an input to Intellicom that will turn on a specific speed.

Chris
Yes I have a Smart things hub which I prefer to use anyway to make an automation that ramps up rpm when turning on pool heater. Could you please provide me an example of what I'd need and how it would wire to Intellicom?

I already have spare smartplugs.

So I've purchased the 2 products seen in the attachments. Could anyone just confirm my understanding of how they're to be wired?

- Green and Yellow wires from Intelliflo pump to green and yellow terminals on Pool Buster.

- 2 wires from a 24v AC adapter to the power terminals on the Pool Buster.

-1 wire from each of the 4 common terminals on the wifi switch to the common terminal on the Pool Buster.

- 1 wire from each of the 4 Normally Open terminals on the wifi switch to S1-4 on the Pool Buster.

Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200522-100434_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20200522-100434_eBay.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 42
  • Screenshot_20200522-133911_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20200522-133911_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 41
  • Screenshot_20200522-140431_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
    Screenshot_20200522-140431_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
    242.7 KB · Views: 39
The Intelliconnect was designed for the variable speed pumps, or single and two speeds.https://www.pentair.com/content/dam/extranet/aquatics/residential-pool/literature-and-brochures/brochures/pool-automation/intelliconnect-control-monitoring-system-brochure-english.pdf

Ok, I just read their manual.

You will need a power supply. The cheapest and probably easiest to get is a 12V DC. It says it will use both AC or DC. The yellow and green go to the pump.

Then connect the power supply to the two terminals for the power supply.

Then wire the comm port to the comm on the relays.

The wire the NO on the relays to each relay position.

Voila should be that easy. However, I have never used that item, but that is what the manual says to do.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.