Controlling CYA build up in our pool

Kuchop

Bronze Supporter
May 1, 2020
Sachse, TX
Moved from here.
I have a question regarding this situation. My wife and I bought this house a year ago and have been trying to follow the Trouble Free Pool guidelines. I did a Pool School with Riverbend Sandler here in the Dallas area and the guy who came out to do the Pool School recommended this website. I have used the Pool Math app on a regular basis and have been slowly draining the pool every time I back wash the DE filter to lower the Calcium Hardness and CYA levels, and after a year the Calcium Hardness is getting down to the level I needs, but I have been unable to lower the CYA levels. Riverbend Sandler couldn't tell me how to drain my pool so I am frustrated. The only way I know how is to lower it as much as possible each time is when I backwash my DE filter. I use a combination of the 3" tablets in the automatic chlorinator and liquid chlorine in the pool to shock it. Another issue I have is that the PH and Alkalinity in my pool keeps rising all the time and I am constantly having to add Muriatic Acid to counteract those levels. Please help, I am trying to do the right thing, but can't seem to get the results I need.

Last edited by a moderator:
The CYA is getting added constantly by the trichlor pucks. You can't use them continuously and not expect to have to lower your CYA. Most people on TFP will tell you to get rid of the puckss completely. I use them as supplemental and will cut myself off for the season if my CYA gets above 60. I do not know your current numbers but you probably will need to exchange half the water in your pool to get your CYA numbers low enough.

Test the ph and alkalinity out of your tap water. A lot of people out west have problems with alkalinity and have to use acid on a regular basis.

K,

If your pool has a main drain, you can use to to lower your water below the mouth of the skimmer.. Or just get a cheap sump pump and use it to lower your pool water.. I would do that with the pool pump off..

Tell use specifically what type of pucks you are using...

I did not know anyone in our area had a problem with CH, so I am surprised you do.

I have a saltwater pool and it just makes its own chlorine.. I actually have to add CYA..

Thanks,

Jim R.

In the future, you might consider installing a salt water generator. I did last year I cut the cord with jug-dumping. For now, shop around for the best places in your area that sell chlorine. HD still has the HDX 3-packs, although they increased in price this year. :( Check to see if you have refillable chlorine places in the area.

Your CYA of 80 is a bit elevated, but manageable for this year as our temps will increase soon. By the end of this summer your CYA will probably be between 60-70 unless you exchange a lot water. But if 80 is a solid number according to your Poolmath log, I personally would just leave it and keep the FC elevated as you are doing now. :goodjob: Remember that an FC over 10 will make the pH look a bit higher.

Your pH of 7.8 is fine, although it may try to creep upwards because the TA is at 100. Not crazy high, but should slowly drop with the use of muriatic acid. If you really want to give the TA a kick in the gut to lower it, use enough acid to lower the pH to 7.0, then simply wait and allow the pH to rise or aerate to help the pH rise back up leaving the TA a little lower.

For refillable chlorine, there are 2 Pinch-a-Penny stores in our area. One in Plano and one in
McKinney. HD, Lowe's and Walmart are other places to find bottled liquid chlorine. One Stop Pool
also.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.