Controling 5 valves on a ProLogic PS-8

Aug 6, 2012
The Villages, FL
I built my new pool/spa this past summer and love it. We've gas and solar heat for both pool and spa but limit the gas usage to the spa. The builder told me to leave the bypass valve open on the heater when not using it, so when I want to use it I have to go out to the heater and manually shut the bypass valve, an inconvenience due to the equipment location. I'd like to put another valve actuator on the PS-8 controller to automate this but all 4 valve outputs are in use - pool/spa supply & return, solar, and waterfall. My thought was to wire both the bypass valve and the return valve together on Valve2 as they would operate at the same time.

I'm assuming that the output for Valve2 is a form-C relay and not an open collector circuit so this should work. Has anyone else tried tying 2 valves to one output and did it work?

I have two other options also but both are a little more complicated. Use one of the Aux output to control a relay and then let the relay's form-c contact operate the valve. Or, pickup the heater enable output on the PS-8 to drive the relay which operates the valve and a second contact to enable the heater. The former will either require configuring a group (instructions are poor at best in the manual) and the latter raises concerns about cool down of the heater as almost all flow bypasses it when the bypass valve is open.

I'm open to other thoughts and ideas.

Thanks,
Don
The Villages, FL

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.