Contractor did a HORRIBLE job on pool decking

Apr 11, 2021
Phoenix, AZ
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
As of yesterday we had a contractor installing new pool decking over our existing kool deck and pouring a 150sqft slab to extend our pool space. He was supposed to texture the overlay so that the new slab and pool deck was seamless, and then seal and stain it. The work is atrocious, we feel extremely ripped off. The workers were mixing DIRT from our yard in to their concrete mix for the slab, and using the clean out from their buckets as the “base” of the slab. The overlay on the kool deck is already cracked and the finish work (or lack there of) is horrendous. I just wanted to get some feedback and make sure this isn’t some “in between” stage and the finished product will look nice and I just have no clue what I’m talking about. I don’t think that’s the case but opinions one way or the other will make me feel better about firing this guy. Thanks in advance. 68C29510-2BAD-44BC-9EF5-16118BE8E504.jpegB309E14D-D16D-4CFE-9372-978FA857BE4E.jpeg58AFFFFB-8646-48E3-81D6-8095CF79E49D.jpeg0A937855-B2FD-4B76-AC8D-D1092DC94793.jpeg

On Facebook marketplace, but the pictures of his work led us to believe he was capable and his quote was right in line with others we received, just a little cheaper. We’re kicking ourselves for trying to save a few bucks but we were also completely swindled.
I’m sorry. If there is a consumer advocate in your area, it might be worth reaching out.

You didn’t pay up front for this, did you? Do you have a contract?

I’m sorry. If there is a consumer advocate in your area, it might be worth reaching out.

You didn’t pay up front for this, did you? Do you have a contract?
We haven’t paid in full, but we have $1600 in it so far. We do have a contract. We plan on giving him the opportunity to refund our money or we’re going to take him to small claims court. Hopefully he takes the easy way out and doesn’t make us get litigious, but we will if we have to. We also fully plan on reporting him.

Reactions: Snoobug
Micky,

I'm sorry, but it would have to be a lot better just to move up into the "Horrible" zone... :(

I have never seen anything that bad..

I don't see any option but to rip it all out a start over.

Thanks,

Jim R.
That’s exactly what we’re doing. At least one silver lining is it was done SO poorly that I’m able to easily pull out huge chunks with just my hands so it shouldn’t be too terribly difficult to rip it out.

I've completely lost faith in any services from FB marketplace. It's as bad as craigslist now. I almost hired a guy for a patio cover Friday. I asked him to send a few more pictures of his work, which he did. Thankfully my wife noticed there were mountains in the background of one of the pics(we live in Fla).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I've completely lost faith in any services from FB marketplace. It's as bad as craigslist now. I almost hired a guy for a patio cover Friday. I asked him to send a few more pictures of his work, which he did. Thankfully my wife noticed there were mountains in the background of one of the pics(we live in Fla).
Yup I should have checked the pictures more closely, upon going back and inspecting them they were clearly taken from the internet. One of them had trees and grass in the backyard that are not native to my state (Arizona)

• Wow
Reactions: magiteck
Dang! Sorry to see this and about your situation. This person has no clue what their doing, just trying to make quick money. I can probably Youtube this and do better.

I've learned my lesson about saving a few bucks the hard way too. We repainted our home exterior and wanted new front porch tiles to match the new color scheme. Had someone from an online app (Nextdoor if you guys have heard of it) send me pictures of their work so I hired since he was a bit cheaper than professional companies. Well, long story short, the end result was me hiring a professional to rip out all the new tiles and redo with new material and labor, costing me over 2x what it would've been had I just went straight with the professional company in the first place.

Dang Mouse. I'm so sorry. I would fire him immediately and try to recover from this.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.