Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Truclear / Ei
Hello everyone,

Newbie from Toronto, Canada. I signed our contract a month ago with a current install date of July 2021. Details and questions below.

POOL
- Manufacturer: Leisure Pools
- Pool Model: SUPREME 30
- Dimensions: 15'6" width, 30’ length, 5'11 depth, 4’ shallow end
- Colour: Sapphire Blue

EQUIPMENT
- Filter: Jandy 340 cartridge filter
- Heater: Jandy JXI power vented 260,000 BTU digital heater
- Pump:Jandy VS Flooro 1.65 HP variable-speed pump (upgraded from 1.0HP pump)
- Jandy True Clear SWG system
- Lights: PAL LED, 2 included ($550 each additional)
- Concrete 3’x 7’ concrete pad for pool equipment
- Manual maintenance kit = telescopic pole, net, skimmer.

ADDITIONAL, INCLUDED
- Excavation and disposal of soil
- 40 ton crane
- One foot concrete collar and one foot Techo Bloc Bullnose coping
- 20 - 30' of trenching
- Tarp and bags for closing
- One free opening and one free closing
- Water for pool, 2 loads ($800.00 value)

NOT INCLUDED
- Permit costs
- Gas and Electrical connection (Approx. $2,000.00 each)
- All patio stones beyond coping (Techo Bloc Blu 60mm = $25/sq ft)
- Small Machinery, if needed

1. Considering a hot tub for later on. Should I ask them to setup the concrete pad, along with electrical and plumbing?

2. Do you think the sapphire blue would be too dark for night time swimming?

3. How many lights should we go with? 3 or 4?

4. Are pool slides worth the $3K-5K cost? I’m considering the SR Smith turbo twister for our children, ages 9 and 11.

5. We are planning on having the pool running vertically with our side fence (left side of attached picture). 4’ clearance by-law requirement would filled with plants like hostas and day lillies, then 4’ of pavers/stone, the pool, 4’ pavers/stone, then grass. ? Does anyone else have grass that close or closer? Is it a pain keeping the pool clean.

6. We have a huge wooden deck already so, I’m thinking 10’ pavers/stone at both width ends of the pool for loungers and an umbrella. Would that be wide enough for loungers and clearance to walk?

Thanks in advance! This site has already been very helpful.

Attachments

• 3ABE0EAA-367A-4F6F-BA01-D5E51307EFCD.jpeg
    3ABE0EAA-367A-4F6F-BA01-D5E51307EFCD.jpeg
    317.7 KB · Views: 21
  • 2EA1E4F3-DE45-4D10-BAA6-A4A7EB797EDD.png
    2EA1E4F3-DE45-4D10-BAA6-A4A7EB797EDD.png
    5.7 KB · Views: 23
  • 714578BC-ADA3-4416-851D-7CD41197A731.jpeg
    714578BC-ADA3-4416-851D-7CD41197A731.jpeg
    198 KB · Views: 22
I would rough in as much of the hot tub as you can if you don't install it now.The plumbing, pas and electrical should cost less while you have the contractors on site then bringing them back later.

Will the hot tub be standalone or share filter and pump with the pool?

What automation or controls will you have for the pool and equipment?

2 lights is enough for a pool your size. 3 will be plenty.

These articles may be helpful...

3. How many lights should we go with? 3 or 4?

I think 3 will be plenty of light for a 30' long pool. I have a 30' long FB pool, with a "darker" color, and the three lights are plenty. My "standard" package included two lights, but I am glad we added the third. Here is my FB pool with the three lights...

IMG_5197.jpg

IMG_5190.jpg

4. Are pool slides worth the $3K-5K cost? I’m considering the SR Smith turbo twister for our children, ages 9 and 11.

Is it worth it? That is really a personal decision you have to wrestle with. For us, it probably was not, even though we have kids who will for sure use it. We had out pool installed late in the season, and had only one day where the weather was nice enough, and the water was warm enough to spend some time in there. The three kids, 9-18, spent hours going down the slide, I just wonder for $5k, if they will eventually tire of it, and if we could have spent that money in more decking. For my 30' pool, the slide takes up a lot of real estate on the decking. In other setups, maybe the slide could have been positioned more towards the back side of the pool, but I have a lot of easement issues, so this is where it landed and there weren't really other options. It is just a large item sitting on the side of our pool, and in hindsight, I probably would not have done it.

Is it cool to have? Sure it is! Is it fun? Oh yeah it is! Would I do it again if given the same option? Probably not. But again, thats my personal decision that I had to wrestle with, and still do. Here is mine, with the build just about complete

IMG_5214.jpg

I think 3 will be plenty of light for a 30' long pool. I have a 30' long FB pool, with a "darker" color, and the three lights are plenty. My "standard" package included two lights, but I am glad we added the third. Here is my FB pool with the three lights...

View attachment 168787

View attachment 168788

Is it worth it? That is really a personal decision you have to wrestle with. For us, it probably was not, even though we have kids who will for sure use it. We had out pool installed late in the season, and had only one day where the weather was nice enough, and the water was warm enough to spend some time in there. The three kids, 9-18, spent hours going down the slide, I just wonder for $5k, if they will eventually tire of it, and if we could have spent that money in more decking. For my 30' pool, the slide takes up a lot of real estate on the decking. In other setups, maybe the slide could have been positioned more towards the back side of the pool, but I have a lot of easement issues, so this is where it landed and there weren't really other options. It is just a large item sitting on the side of our pool, and in hindsight, I probably would not have done it.

Is it cool to have? Sure it is! Is it fun? Oh yeah it is! Would I do it again if given the same option? Probably not. But again, thats my personal decision that I had to wrestle with, and still do. Here is mine, with the build just about complete

View attachment 168786
Interesting that you say they may tire of it. When we were getting ready to plan the pool, we asked our kids, who are grown and married, what they wanted us to get. They said a slide. My husband had one growing up and the grandkids loved it. Even my nieces and nephews on my side loved going over there and using the slide. My MIL sold her house in ‘06 and we just saw a for sale listing for it with pictures. The current owners took out the slide. My 33 yr old step daughter was so offended that they would get rid of the slide. Anyway, my point is that a slide can be very beloved. I think you made a great decision in adding it. I wish we could have but since we added a hot tub it wouldn’t fit.

You are right Nikilyn, maybe the kids will never tire of it, maybe that's just me with the regret of the position of it. For the two hours the kids were in the pool this year, they used it a lot, and it was windy and relatively chilly outside. When it gets warm, there will probably be a lot more use out of it. Even I ran down it several times, so even adults would get some use out of it. I think my biggest regret is just the positioning of it. Had I been able to place it more "out of the way", I think I would be happier with it. The kids don't care where its at, but I'd like more usable deck space on that side of the pool.

In the grand scheme of things, like a lot of other decisions in pool building, the ~$5k for the slide addition doesn't move the needle of costs that much, so for me it wasn't even the price. What's the difference between $75k and $80k for the entire project? I know that sounds crazy to some people, they think long and hard about options that cost a couple hundred dollars, but just a perspective.

Kids love the slide, and if someone has an option to do it or not, I'd just say think about where it will go, how big of a space you have, and plan that way.

I don't know about the Jandy automation, but with Pentair I can control the slide with the Intellicenter, as well as have a fail safe to it wont turn on with my auto cover closed. Yes, I can turn a valve, but it's pretty cool for me to be able to push on button on my phone and see the bubblers turn on, the slide turn on, see the returns change flow, and hear the pump ramp up for some fun.

Reactions: Nikilyn
I think personally I would have issue with the slide in general because of the amount of space they seem to take up. We don't have any kids at home and hope that we are a long way from being grandparents so we never even considered one, but I am surprised that they take up that much space

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.