George Whitzel

Jul 23, 2017
San jose, california
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
My pool is balanced and pretty clean as I can see the drains in the bottom of deep clearly however there is a very light layer of a gold color contaminate on the bottom of the pool. I belive it to be pollen from a
Large tree near the pool. I tried everything I could think of to remove such as brushing the bottom with the pump running, vacumming the bottom and installing a sand filter bag on my pool sweep. I cleaned my filter cartridges as well. Nothing has totally removed it. My pool supplierr has suggested I add something that is supposed to allow the materials to attach to it and thus become large enough to be filtered out. I am very weary of this but am getting very frustrated not be able to get rid of this containment. Need recommendations on what to do next.

I ran OCLT and it was less than o.5. My hot daylight loss is around 2-3 and I been able to keep the pool around 5 FC with a lower setting on my SWG so I do not think it is Algae. The rest of my area around the pool has tree pollen on the ground. My numbers are

FC 5.0
Ph 7.6
TA 170
CA 80

Need to find some way of cleani g out this fine contaminate. So what are the pros and cons of using floc or should I try something else

Flocs and clarifiers work essentially as a glue that binds particles together. But they aren't smart enough to differentiate between dust and filter sand, algae and diatomaceous earth, papery leaves and filter paper. It's all the same, and it will glue it all together. In your case it will gum up your filter cartridge and ruin it.

Your filter is able to strain it all out. Whether you gum it all up with floc or not, once you vacuum it up it's gone, and what you're seeing is more of the same. I think you're gonna have to live with it until the trees stop it.

So they product that Leslie's is selling is called Clear Aide and is supposed to help remove pollen and algae from a pool. There are no ingredients listed on the bottle. I ask the attendant and they said it was enzymes in it and they would not gum up the filter but in fact help to clean the filter. Not sure what to think at this time.

The active ingredient in Clear Aid is PolyDADMAC... which is a flocculant. Doesn't matter what name Leslie's tries to market it as. It is a flocculant and polymer that you don't want in your pool or filter.

So they product that Leslie's is selling is called Clear Aide and is supposed to help remove pollen and algae from a pool. There are no ingredients listed on the bottle. I ask the attendant and they said it was enzymes in it and they would not gum up the filter but in fact help to clean the filter. Not sure what to think at this time.
The SDS says Polydimethyldiallylammoniumchloride and googling that takes me to wikipedia where it says it is a high charge density cationic polymer. Polymers can be plastics or proteins. Sounds like glue to me.

You can dump whatever you want into your pool. It's your pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.