Construction Plans, We may be digging soon so we are down to the wire...

Looks like you are doing a lap pool with a spa on one end and a sun shelf on the other. The one thing that sticks out to me is the bench off the sun shelf. That will not allow for flip turns on that end of the pool with out danger of hitting it while doing the turn.

I like your steps and benches on the side of the pool!

I think I see a 9' for how wide it is but the length is hard to see but I THINK it says 18'.

How deep will this pool be?

It looks like you are wanting to use automation. If so then all of the parts need to come from the same family to talk together. I am saying this just in case the QT blower is not Jandy.

SWG Jandy TruClear-make sure to size it for twice the size of your pool. This helps you save on your power bill and cell life.

Am I reading it right in that your pool will be Southern Lights color (a very pretty blue) and your spa will be Glossy Black (another very pretty color)? I will tell you the darker colors are more prone to streaking and mottling. It is very dependent on the skills of the installers.

That should get us started.

Kim:kim:

Congrats on the new build as pool ownership is awesome. More feedback could be provided if you had specific questions about your plans and listing out the equipment you plan to use. Pictures of your backyard space is a plus...

Kim, sharp as always! I had a wall there but this last update it got turned into another dang step, that will get fixed.

Lap Lane is 9 'x 48' with the overall length being 64'7". Depth is 12" on the shelf, 3.5/4.5/4 in the lap lane, considering changing to 4/4.5/4.

Automation is very important since I am out of town so often. I'll double check on QT blower. I'm still debating auto-fill which they will do for no extra $$ but the pool builder is not a fan because of delayed leak detection.

TruClear is rated up to 35,000 gallons

We actually switched to the WetEdge plaster because they said that is what their best plaster installer uses so fingers crossed on the Black in the spa.

CTrav, thanks we are excited about being future pool owners, none of us have had a pool so we are completely newbies. Our whole lot is empty because we are building a house and a pool simultaneously so pics right now would just show a muddy lot. If you look at the plan closely you can see that the pool is in the courtyard of the house and that's why it ended up being only 9' wide which is narrower than ideal but hopefully the length makes up for that.

The current spec equipment is in my signature.

One thing I am not sure I like is the placement of the returns on the plans. That seems wrong to me.

- - - Updated - - -

Why are my plans so low res?

Lap Lane is 9 'x 48' with the overall length being 64'7". Depth is 12" on the shelf, 3.5/4.5/4 in the lap lane, considering changing to 4/4.5/4.

I would definitely go 4’ instead of 3.5’. Makes flip turns much more comfortable.

We did southern lights in our pool. Very happy with the results for color. Just the right amount of blue without the worry of bleaching out any dyes. I can send you pictures if you want. The only downside is it is pretty rough. (IE: you don’t want to slide across it with knees or elbows).

I would definitely go 4’ instead of 3.5’. Makes flip turns much more comfortable.

We did southern lights in our pool. Very happy with the results for color. Just the right amount of blue without the worry of bleaching out any dyes. I can send you pictures if you want. The only downside is it is pretty rough. (IE: you don’t want to slide across it with knees or elbows).

Please send me pics.

Is it so rough that walking back and forth in the pool or flip-turns become an issue?

It’s rough enough where if you are wire brushing a stain and your knuckles hit the plaster, it will generally produce blood. If you were aqua jogging where your toes were pushing off the bottom, you would definitely want to wear some aqua socks for toe protection. I’ve mostly gotten used to it for general flip turn push-offs but pushing with your feet to exit the deep end is pretty abrasive on the toes.

A74570D2-5C2F-43C7-80BE-0A88C19D92E5.jpg
I circled what I believe to be the returns in red and skimmers in yellow. I really have no idea why the resolution is coming out so poor when I post these.

Attachments

• FFC5A23A-ABA0-44DF-89B5-748E13AB82D5.jpg
    FFC5A23A-ABA0-44DF-89B5-748E13AB82D5.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 140

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
SWG, VS pump and DE filter all good choices in my book. Looks like Kim will have some feedback on the returns and I would think 4' minimum depth will be much better in the end.

Thanks Kim, I’ll hold off on talking to the PB until tomorrow and look forward to hearing your feedback tonight.

Thanks CTrav, we are seriously considering the 4’ instead of the 3.5 after all the feedback but just don’t feel settled on either.

Inkedlap pool returns_LI.jpg

Okay lets see if you understand what I am thinking here.

See my purple marks? That is where I would add a return. The reason for the one on the shelf is to clean it off. You will not run the bubblers that much and when you do it will just push the stuff around around where the return will push it off for the cleaner to clean up. The other one will move the stuff on the surface to the moved skimmer better.

See the two X marks? Those are the returns are either not needed or not in a good place.

Notice I moved one of the skimmers. This will help it be more useful to pick up the stuff on the surface of the pool.

Okay so here comes a really wild idea! Move the return between the benches to the bottom of the wall so it pushes stuff in the main drain!

Have you seen these main drains: http://www.poolfittings.com/channel-pebble-top/ So many reasons to use this one............pretty, less chance of toe stubbing, takes in dirt better, to name a couple.

SO what do you think??? Don't worry about hurting my feelings. I just throw ideas up and see what sticks. If it does not then I try again until one does!

Kim:kim:

From previous recommendations that is the main drain I am using!!

How does moving the skimmer down help it to clean better?

Do we want the returns directly across from the skimmers to push the stuff into the skimmer?

I agree a return needs to be in the shelf area. With the under water lap wall, which side do you put the return and do you put it over the step to help clean that too?

Here is my guess from what you were saying and which would be more effective top center of skimmers or bottom across from the drain?

F6CDA979-43CE-4D99-A47E-1719E0757091.jpg

Attachments

• 7BABD7A1-96BA-43CA-AE52-D061B1934F34.jpg
    7BABD7A1-96BA-43CA-AE52-D061B1934F34.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 84
Something to possibly consider: some sort of foam board insulation layer between the gunite shell and the soil. (If you get a thermal cover for the winter and want to heat the pool, an insulator would help isolate the pool from the ground so you don’t spend all your gas money heating up dirt). I’m not sure exactly how this is done, but maybe some of the more northern TFP members can chime in on this...

See how I have a return in the upper right corner by the spa? That will push anything in that area to the skimmer. Other wise that will be a "dead" spot in the pool is my worry.

Okay so that "wall" on the shelf will be sticking up for you to flip turn off of...........I like your placement of the return there better with that info.

returns on steps/benches.........the worry is people sitting there in front of them. I guess you could have the pump off when any one is in the pool. You will need to keep an eye on them to make sure no one turns them.

We want to keep stuff out of the corners of the pool. We will not be able to get a "circulation" with the shape of your pool so we have to keep the stuff out into the open water so the skimmers can bring it in. OH MAN I JUST THOUGHT OF SOMETHING!!! Let me see if I can find it!

Darn I am going to have to look for it. It is just what you need for this pool! What it is a skimmer with a "return" built into it. The return pushes water down and out so it pushes anything on the bottom up in the current it is making and brings it back to the skimmer. It is SO cool and would be purrfect for your pool!!!

I am off to search for it now!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.