Construction in N. TX - Plaster Time

Re: Construction in N. TX - Tile/Coping Phase

It's a plastic piece of liner that goes between the tile and the form. I spoke with the Forman and people usually cut it out with a razor knife. I wasn't expecting to be there, looking so out of place. It looked bad between the brown tile and coping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would be waiting until it is warm enough to get IN the pool. That will not be fun to do hanging over the edge. I see what you are talking about now. You would thing they would take it out for you.

Kim:kim:

Lots of work done yesterday! Here are some pictures of the deck going in.
22f6c486e2502302c2230e80a6152345.jpg
dd2b0f02f4dd70dc1d604bbb9b7628a5.jpg
7beb7c92eb16257fcad9e127cfb2a7bd.jpg
21b114dda4637fc34d3f67b5f0db48d8.jpg

Re: Construction in N. TX - Deck Complete

All that rebar, laying right down in the dirt, where it'll do absolutely nothing . . . I hope they at least connected it to the bonding.

I've seen a lot of flatwork poured here in North Texas. Typically, no plastic chairs are used under the rebar. The crew will pour concrete spread evenly and pull up on the rebar while working it. It sets pretty well in the middle of the slab thickness that way. Then finish out.

Djohnson, I like your pool build. Been reading the thread and our timing is pretty similar. Hope to get a build post started soon.

All that rebar, laying right down in the dirt, where it'll do absolutely nothing . . . I hope they at least connected it to the bonding.

HA! Yes around here they usually don't raise the rebar until they pour. It makes it easier to roll their wheel barrows across. As far as bonding, they connected copper bonding wire to the pool bonding connections. Hopefully no unequal voltage potential will arise.

- - - Updated - - -

I've seen a lot of flatwork poured here in North Texas. Typically, no plastic chairs are used under the rebar. The crew will pour concrete spread evenly and pull up on the rebar while working it. It sets pretty well in the middle of the slab thickness that way. Then finish out.

Djohnson, I like your pool build. Been reading the thread and our timing is pretty similar. Hope to get a build post started soon.

Thanks slpybeartx. It's been a fun experience so far. I was pretty nervous during this portion of the process, but I see light at the end of the tunnel now!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

I have a quick question for everyone. I am about to pick a plaster contractor and my #1 guy recommends an acid startup, basically adding avid after fill water, instead of an acid wash before fill water. He stated that he thinks you get a more even plaster that way.
What do you think? Which one is better? What are the pit falls of doing an acid startup?

It is a little harder to do and takes some time and effort BUT it is said to be a better start up to help the plaster last longer and look great from the start.

I will look for the thread where I know they did it. Hold on a sec. Ah here it is:

Getting ready for O/B Bicarbonate Startup

There might be more but this is the one I know of and it is very complete!

Got plastered today! Guys came around 8 and we're finished by 1. Plaster is Quartzscapes Tahoe Blue.
e0aa7e63e698158e39d9a629fed1657f.jpg
4d742d2debdf2849eccea1003072154b.jpg
39327825859db8f06b9ec9963132ef5d.jpg

47028d5971985e4b4437653639bd3c0f.jpg

Looks like I have about 10.5 gpm with 3 hoses, so 31 hours and we'll be full.

Well that's a good question Kim, because I have gotten two differing recommendations from the plaster company. They sent me a startup guide, which basically looks like the traditional startup. It keeps the TA at 80, ph 7.2-7.6, CH of 150 for the first 3 days. 4th add chlorine to 1.5. 5th day add CYA to 50.
Then.......he called and said when the pool was filled to add 8 gallons of muriatic acid. That's going to drop the ph through the floor.
Does that make any sense?? Am I missing something?

The call sounds like he is doing the other start up. Look up at post #93 and go to that link. That thread has some other links to that kind of start up.

I would call him back and ask why did they send one but he said the other on the phone. VERY confusing! My guess is they sent the one because that is what the always send but he called because he is doing the "better" one with yours but that is just a guess.

Good luck figuring it out!

Thanks Kim, it looks like those links in Jaime's thread aren't working for me. Also, didn't she do a bicarbonate start-up?

So I spoke with my plaster guy and he has his college aged son working part time in the office.....He sent me the normal procedure not the acid start-up, go figure. Problem is, the plaster guy DOESN'T have a written start-up for acid. So I tried to write down all I could lol.

So here are my start-up plans, based on my conversation with the plaster guy and reading through various threads and reading the acid start-up in Pool School:

Once pool is filled, add 1 qt of sequestrant - Metal Out. We don't have metal issues with water, so I'm just going to add one quart.
Leave pump off.
Add 6 gal of muriatic acid 31.25 Baume (3.5 gal per 10k gal) - I believe I will have about 16-18k gal.
Brush 2x a day until dust is gone and desired quartz exposure is reached.
Balance ph to 7.2-7.6 with baking soda. Wait 24 hours to make sure pH is ok.
Start Equipment, check filter pressure and clean when it gets 20% higher than start-up pressure.
Bring TA, CH, FC, and CYA up to TFP recommendations slowly.

Am I missing anything?

I have about 17" left to fill as of 7 am this morning (Just about an inch over my benches). My meter says I've added 11,200 gallons, which means I'm filling at around 630 gal/hr. I believe I'll have about 5400 gallons more to fill, so I'll be done around 3pm today.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.