Jul 1, 2017
GA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi there,

I'm considering switching from chlorine to a salt water generator. The pool pump is 10+ years old and not running as well as it used to. The pump is having issues priming, PSI is low and making a humming noise when running. I am also looking for a more energy efficient pump. Therefor, I am considering replacing the pump and may change the pool to a SWG.

Some questions regarding a saltwater pool.
  • Costs to switch to SWG
  • Monthly cost to maintain a SWG
  • Benefits of a SWG
Thanks,

The SWG benefits are rarely fully realized until you've lived with one. Then most kick themselves for taking as long as they did.

A VS pump / SWG combo is the only way for many of us. There's a great discussion going on in the thread below. Keep your questions here to not hijack the other OP, but it will be a good start for you to get an idea. :)

For comparing what the outputs will do for you, download PoolMath if you havent already and go to effects of adding on the left menu. Enter the cell production here after setting 'SWG' and your gallons.

Screenshot_20230208_154254.jpg

It's a great way to see how many FC a unit will make for you, and you can MATH that into how long you'd have to run it to produce the 2-4 ppm average daily loss throughout the season. Cells have a finite life based on hours producing (10k for example). 12 hours is 12 hours whether it's 24 hours at 50%, or 12 hours at 100%. A larger unit makes the same FC in less time, making its longevity proportionately longer.

If you hit the magnifying glass icon it lists many models and their outputs. Compare the prices on the chart @Mdragger88 made in the other thread.

Reactions: Mdragger88
I'm considering switching from chlorine to a salt water generator.
Chlorine will continue to be your sanitizer. Instead of buying it at a store, you generate it onsite.

I am considering replacing the pump and may change the pool to a SWG.
VSP and SWG work well together. 24/7 operation with this combo is popular.

Costs to switch to SWG
The upfront costs are significant, but worthwhile. You'll have to buy the cell, the transformer (if it's not integrated in your automation unit), and plumb it into your system. Since you're in the Jandy ecosystem, it makes sense to get a Jandy SWG.

Monthly cost to maintain a SWG
Practically nothing.

Benefits of a SWG
Consistent chlorination and massive convenience.

Appreciate the responses! I have reached out to several pool companies to get an idea of installation. I heard back from one that costs about 1,700. Does this seem accurate?

Chlorine will continue to be your sanitizer. Instead of buying it at a store, you generate it onsite.

VSP and SWG work well together. 24/7 operation with this combo is popular.

The upfront costs are significant, but worthwhile. You'll have to buy the cell, the transformer (if it's not integrated in your automation unit), and plumb it into your system. Since you're in the Jandy ecosystem, it makes sense to get a Jandy SWG.

Practically nothing.

Consistent chlorination and massive convenience.

Pool repair company says I still need to add salt reguarly. Some pool owners Ive spoken to with SWG said you add a big bag of salt annually and thats all.

Appreciate the responses! I have reached out to several pool companies to get an idea of installation. I heard back from one that costs about 1,700. Does this seem accurate?
If you stick with Jandy you could get by with the AquaPure 700 (rated to 12k gals) since you have a 7200 gal pool. We suggest to have a SWCG rated 2x your pool volume. Jandy also makes a AP 1400 rated to 40k gals.
Do not get the Jandy TreClear as that has known issues on reliability. So we need to know which unit the pool service is offering.
I purchased mine direct from Polytec Pools (the AP1400 which came with SWC, power box & transformer)

You may need to call them for a price on the 700 model.

Pool repair company says I still need to add salt reguarly. Some pool owners Ive spoken to with SWG said you add a big bag of salt annually and thats all.
With regard to he SWCG costs - you are paying in advance (upfront) for your chlorine for the next 5-9 years. How long a SWCG lasts is based on hours of use. Most SWCGs have a life of 10,000 hrs but need to confirm based on which SWCG you select.

Salt does not get consumed so it stays fairly constant unless you drain water or splash out. You may have to add salt occasionally depending your specifics. It is not adding weekly like you would for chlorine or muractic acid. Last time I added salt (1/2 bag) was 4 months ago).

With regard to he SWCG costs - you are paying in advance (upfront) for your chlorine for the next 5-9 years. How long a SWCG lasts is based on hours of use. Most SWCGs have a life of 10,000 hrs but need to confirm based on which SWCG you select.

Salt does not get consumed so it stays fairly constant unless you drain water or splash out. You may have to add salt occasionally depending your specifics. It is not adding weekly like you would for chlorine or muractic acid. Last time I added salt (1/2 bag) was 4 months ago).
Thanks! What is maintenance like on a daily/weekly basis? I know this is discussed on other threads, but just looking for a simple answer. Will I still be add chlorine/shock on a daily/weekly basis? As you mentioned you last added salt months ago. Is basically all you need to do now test the water?

Just to further add to this discussion, chlorine at Home Depot was $10 a gallon. A 40 bag of Diamond Crystal salt was $10.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
As you mentioned you last added salt months ago. Is basically all you need to do now test the water?
Basically. You will test the FC daily until you know the system well and trust its dialed in. Then it will eventually go to weekly FC tests when you've gotten enough perfect daily tests. When you see a seasonal change coming, you'll turn the SWG up one setting, or down one setting to match the UV loss. (Up in the spring, down in the fall)

Salt will be 2 (?) bags for your 7200 gallons to start the summer to make up for all the off season rain you got that wasn't treated. Once the season is underway, half a bag will last you a month or two.

You can probably stretch PH adjustments to weekly by operating in the high 7s and getting the TA to the lower side of normal range. If your TA is 60 it will take about 2 ounces of Muriatic acid to lower the PH from 8 to 7.8. That's 1/4 cup and will take 64 weeks to use the $14 gallon.

The only time to add bleach would be if you missed a seasonal change adjustment time and needed to boost the FC immediately, or if you were having a high bather day and wanted to pre-dose it.

Basically. You will test the FC daily until you know the system well and trust its dialed in. Then it will eventually go to weekly FC tests when you've gotten enough perfect daily tests. When you see a seasonal change coming, you'll turn the SWG up one setting, or down one setting to match the UV loss. (Up in the spring, down in the fall)

Salt will be 2 (?) bags for your 7200 gallons to start the summer to make up for all the off season rain you got that wasn't treated. Once the season is underway, half a bag will last you a month or two.

You can probably stretch PH adjustments to weekly by operating in the high 7s and getting the TA to the lower side of normal range. If your TA is 60 it will take about 2 ounces of Muriatic acid to lower the PH from 8 to 7.8. That's 1/4 cup and will take 64 weeks to use the $14 gallon.

The only time to add bleach would be if you missed a seasonal change adjustment time and needed to boost the FC immediately, or if you were having a high bather day and wanted to pre-dose it.
Thanks for your help. Seems like a lot less maintenance. As you mentioned higher cost up front. Have you enjoyed the SWG?

Where do you buy your salt from?
HomeDepot / Lowes/ Ace has water softener salt for $2- $3 cheaper a bag than pool salt at HD/L/A / Walmart. ($7 instead of $10). Or it's $11 or $12 at the pool store.

I shop around for the larger spring dose, because i have time to plan. After that when i need some I buy whatever bag is in front of me while I'm already out shopping. It's not worth going on a side quest for salt to save $3.

Thanks! Where do you buy your salt from?

Initially, wherever it was cheapest within a reasonable driving distance.
If I only need a bag or two, I'll just grab it at the store I'm at or closest to.

I'm in AZ, so don't have much rain/dilution and don't need to add salt very often (if at all). I am one year in using a SWG and haven't added salt since initial dose.

I use either the diamond crystals or mortens solar salt instead of "pool salt".

Reactions: Newdude
What is maintenance like on a daily/weekly basis?
For the SWG itself, nothing.

Will I still be add chlorine/shock on a daily/weekly basis?
No. The SWG will produce your daily chlorine requirement. If you maintain FC/CYA ratio, you'll never need to bring your FC to shock level. In winter, you will need to add a little LC when the water is cold and the SWG can't generate chlorine. However, FC demand during the winter is almost nothing. For my pool, I added a whopping one gallon of LC over the entire winter.

Just to further add to this discussion, chlorine at Home Depot was $10 a gallon. A 40 bag of Diamond Crystal salt was $10.
Inflation is terrible across the board. For LC, I would look at Walmart, Pinch A Penny, or a chemical distributer that sells to the public (pressure washing, etc.).

The price of Diamond Crystal Solar Naturals at HD has almost doubled over the last year. My Ace Hardware sells it for ~$7/bag.

Have you enjoyed the SWG?
I would never have a pool without one. There are tens of thousands of SWG owners here, and you'd have to search very hard to find a single one that disliked their SWG.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.