Jul 5, 2017
Greenville, Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Hi Everyone!
I will be moving soon to a new house we are building. I put in a pool 3 years ago and said I would never do it again. Alas you should never say never. I am considering this time around to GC it myself. It was quickly apparent that our original builder was just using a bunch of subs for the vast majority of the work. I think now that I have gone through it I know what I like and dislike enough to do it my self. One concern I have is we will now be a little out of the way outside city limits in Greenville Texas. I am a little concerned it will be tougher to get subs. I have flipped houses acting as the GC and have enough construction knowledge to be dangerous so I think I can handle it. There is a local pool builder that actually has a DIY consulting service where they do the design give you sub referrals and will come out and inspect each phase. I am considering that as an option as well. My one big concern and I totally get that it is the trade off for not paying a PBs mark up is if something goes wrong after the build you will have to go track down subs instead of a PB company. Would love to hear feedback from others that have done it especially if you happen to be in the Dallas area.

Let's see if anyone in the Dallas areas responds over the weekend.

I like the consulting idea. They'll think of things you won't. Little details that might make a big difference. To your other concern, don't be fooled. This forum is filled with threads about GCs that don't stand behind their work, so a GC doesn't guarantee you won't have any problems making right the shoddy work done by some sub! Good luck with your project. You're already off to a great start by soliciting advice from here. There are folks here that can advise you through the whole build (you probably already know that)...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.