Charleston,SC
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60 Plus
So my light fixture appears to have some water getting into it, maybe like an inch or so. I'd really like to replace it with a color changing LED. Is there a recommended fixture that will fit in the existing standard housing? Thanks!

I just switched out and older (2005) fiber optic light tower for 2 Jandy watercolor 24w (nichless) and it came out great. I lost the lighting in the water falls but the pool and spa is much brighter now.

Take a look a the above. You will need what niche you have and then call the company to confirm that will work.
Thank you for this! I have been communicating back and forth with sunseeker with questions and they have been reasonably prompt with providing answers. What I like about this solution is that it appears to be an amerilite fixture (photo is identical to pentair site) with an LED bulb in it instead of a board of LED's integrated into the fixture. If something happens and it dies, it's a bulb/gasket replacement at ~$150 instead of the whole fixture like colorlogic, etc. at ~$1000. One thing I have not asked is if it is UL Listed. If it is, I think I will pull the trigger on one of these in 12v version and get a transformer, proper switch, and timer.

Reactions: mknauss
Well, unfortunately it is not UL listed. I may be able to buy the Amerlite fixture elsewhere which is UL, and then buy the bulb separate. Next question would be if adding my own bulb into the fixture has to be UL to keep the rating. This is really turning into a can of worms in my quest to be as electrically safe as possible for an existing pool. Wish there was a clean checklist of things I can do or test to an existing pool without digging everything up, which is not feasible.

Replacing an old pentair 120v light fixture, keeping the wet niche. I would like to replace with a 12v amerlite fixture and put a 35w LED bulb in it. Amerlite fixture in 12v appear to come in 100w and 300w versions. Is this just an indication of the bulb that comes with it, or is the wiring different. I just want to take out the factory incandescent and put in a UL listed color changing LED. Am I asking the right questions and is there anything i'm missing? I know I will need a 12v transformer, a proper switch, and a new GFCI breaker.

AMP Lighting (Google) makes a 12v, UL listed, color changing LED replacement bulb. Not inexpensive. Never used one, just seen at a local wholesaler.
Do you know if the pentair fixture wattage matters? Assume 12v100w vs 12v300w. I would think all the wire sizes would b rated for some other max beyond that, say 500w max? Would like to order the fixture, it appears to come with a bulb (incandescent) at different wattage options and prices.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You can not convert a 120v light to 12v. The wire size is different. That would completely void any UL listing for the appliance. You can purchase a 120v light and install a color changing LED. There are many UL listed replacement bulbs available for that purpose.

You can not convert a 120v light to 12v. The wire size is different. That would completely void any UL listing for the appliance. You can purchase a 120v light and install a color changing LED. There are many UL listed replacement bulbs available for that purpose.
I think you may be misunderstanding my question. They sell a 12v fixture in both 100w and 300w. I would install a transformer at my panel. Would there be any wiring difference between 100w and 300w. The only conversion I am doing is replacing the factory incandescent bulb with an RGBW LED, probably at 35W. i am assuming the only difference in those two mentioned is the lamp from the factory, not the wiring. the only other thing I need to consider is if I decide to switch back to incan and need the wattage rated fixture.

I have installed few 12v lights and many, many 120v ones. Other than the label I could not see a difference between a 300w and 500w fixture. No one ever explained it either (manufacture). It may be in the way it handles heat or just the way it was tested. Saw many 300w rated fixtures with 500w replacement bulbs in them, too. If you are going to go back to an incandescent at any time, I would go with the 300w model as it might be able to handle the heat better. You need to check on the actual size of the fixture as well. Most of the time anything rated as 100w is the smaller "spa size" fixture.

I have installed few 12v lights and many, many 120v ones. Other than the label I could not see a difference between a 300w and 500w fixture. No one ever explained it either (manufacture). It may be in the way it handles heat or just the way it was tested. Saw many 300w rated fixtures with 500w replacement bulbs in them, too. If you are going to go back to an incandescent at any time, I would go with the 300w model as it might be able to handle the heat better. You need to check on the actual size of the fixture as well. Most of the time anything rated as 100w is the smaller "spa size" fixture.
Thanks, that is in line with what i was thinking. The AMP bulb looks overpriced for the Lumens it lists (750). For my SF of surface area of ~518, I'm trying to get as close as I can to 4000 lumens. I believe I will have to settle around 3000-3500 from what I've been seeing.

As the colors change you will see a tremendous change in the luminosity of the light. Reds and greens will not travel as far through the water and may not reach the far end of the pool if your light is on an end like mine is.

Before I changed to a colored light (at the insistence of my daughter) I would use outdoor LED bulbs in the standard fixture. They had about 800 lumens and would light the entire pool as the light itself was very "white" and travels through the water easily. They were not as bright as the original 500w incandescent, obviously, but the pool had an overall very pleasant glow yet the bottom was visible from deep to shallow end, as a light should do.

On a personal note, the novelty of color changing wears off quickly and I wouldn't do it again. Your mileage may vary.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.