Miami, FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45
I have a single speed 1.5hp Superpump with chlorine as sanitizer. My pump is loud despite being kept clean and with rubber isolators under it. Even though electricity is cheap here in Miami, any opportunity for savings (and silence) is to be taken advantage of. I run my pump from 11:30am to 7:30 pm daily.
I was looking through inyopools' options for replacing my motor as a starting place, and I ask for some possible suggestions for a new motor.
Do I need a round flange motor or otherwise, for example?

Thanks,

Last edited:
Call inyopool with the model number of your pump and they will tell you which VS motors are compatible.

@InyoRob

Reactions: nabril15
It will help with the noise when running slow, and you CAN get away with the through most of the cycle. My Hayward TriStar VSP is noisy too after about 2500 RPM... noisier than it should be and it has a cover that loosens up and resonates and then you can hear it a block away until you tighten it back down again. I'm not impressed. The aftermarket motor might be better....

Call inyopool with the model number of your pump and they will tell you which VS motors are compatible.

@InyoRob

Thank you ajw
I meant, what is better or wiser, variable speed or dual speed?
I have a 1.5hp, and in, another thread, it was recommended that I go to a smaller 1hp motor.
Should I? Most of the talks about VS motors talk about going with a bigger motor than what it replaces.

If you are spending money get the VS. You can run it at one speed, two speeds, or as many speeds as you want. Ultimate flexibility.

Some folks try and save every bit of energy. Getting a smaller motor saves a bit. I think it is theoretical and not worth the effort. Depends on your view of those things.

I had the 1.5HP superpump and went to a 1.65 VS from Inyo. I was worried it wasn't big enough but love it.
It's a LOT quieter and were before my filter pressure was 12psi with new filters and every valve open I now run it around 5psi and have more than enough flow for the waterfall off our spa and that's running around 1800 rpm so can crank it up if needed..I just bought a dolphin so can probably drop the RPM down more since I am not driving a polaris
It's hard to compare power usage but because I run mine 24x7 starting around mid-march I compared April and May power usage ( not the amount ) and it was a noticeable less..And it said the average outside temp was around the same..

thank you @ajw22 and @markayash, Allen and Mark
I don't have a fountain in my pool, so I'm thinking ahead here. Is it necessary to run it 24/7 at a low setting just to keep water moving? Or would I continue with my pattern of running it for 7 or 8 hours daily? Or would it run at the lowest speed overnight, and then run at a faster speed during the day to skim the surface as well??

You run the pump whichever you want that gives you adequate skimming.

thank you @ajw22 and @markayash, Allen and Mark
I don't have a fountain in my pool, so I'm thinking ahead here. Is it necessary to run it 24/7 at a low setting just to keep water moving? Or would I continue with my pattern of running it for 7 or 8 hours daily? Or would it run at the lowest speed overnight, and then run at a faster speed during the day to skim the surface as well??

The only drawback to the VS from inyo I got was you can't set a time of day but can do different time periods and different speeds. Wasn't a big deal for me, I set mine for one speed 12 hours and a different speed for the next 12 hours
I still would highly recommend it, I ran an amp meter on mine and can't remember the numbers but wasn't a lot more the 2 - 100watt light bulbs.

Man, they are out of stock on the one I bought..They probably have something similar

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.