Charleston,SC
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60 Plus
I have a suction side cleaning port, but have been manually vacuuming. Was considering a suction side cleaner, but now after reading on here I am considering a robot.

Pool is around 18k gallons and is concrete with a pebble finish.

From reading on here, it sounds like the S200 might be the way to go. Anyone have a better suggestion for the cost or is the S200 the way to go?

Thanks!

My first robot, an S300i, just died after 5 seasons. Well, it’s not totally dead, just not cleaning and showing signs that the motor assembly needs to be replaced. That’s a $450 if I do it myself. The S series robots and all of their cousins (Active series, A series, etc, etc) are basically all the same underlying technology, just different bells and whistles.

So that’s the thing about robots. The best you can expect is probably 4 to 5 years of use with some minor repairs along the way and then they will die and need a very expensive repair. The big repairs are generally not worth it. So the reality is you’re buying a new robot every 5 years give or take.

Do you feel like that’s something you can afford?

Suction side cleaners (I had one) don’t clean as well but they are much less costly to repair or replace. They do require more pump run time to make them work properly so you have to add in that additional expense. By contrast, robots use very little power (under 200W) and they clean much better.

Well, that makes it even harder to decide. $200-$250 a year for the robot and a very clean pool Vs. $100 /yr for a suction side cleaner like the MX8 or something and a not as clean pool. how drastic is the cleaning difference you experienced? What is the go to suction side cleaner in your opinion? Thanks!

When the S series robots are fitted with the ultra fine filter panels, they can easily vacuum up very fine particulates. If you look at my signature I have a link about my robot. It’s 17 pages worth of posts but some of the posts describe the electrical savings as well as some images of the very fine silt that my robot collected. I once had DE in my pool due to a filter issue and the robot easily vacuumed up the finest of DE remnants.

It’s hard to gauge what a suction cleaner can pickup because that’s really a function of the pool filter you have. I have a DE filter and so if my old suction cleaner had to pickup fine sand or silt, the DE filter would easily catch that. Would a sand filter or cartridge filter system perform the same … I have no experience with those so I can’t really say.

I only owned one suction cleaner - the Pentair Kreepy Krawly Sandshark. It worked fine enough but I can’t say it’s the “go to cleaner”. It seems like everyone will have their preferred model and they all have their specific pro’s and con’s. I can say that any part I ever replaced on the suction cleaner was never more than $50 and it went for several years without ever needing any repair. And when it did need some parts, it was all DIY repair. So in that respect, they are super cheap.

If you can find the S200 you should get one, my opinion. The pool robot cleaner is best cleaning system available, hands down and the S200 configuration while basic is the best value, again my opinion.
From what I've learned from observations on TFP if your pool has a pebble finish expect more wear and tear on the bot.

Reactions: fishbait
If you can find the S200 you should get one, my opinion. The pool robot cleaner is best cleaning system available, hands down and the S200 configuration while basic is the best value, again my opinion.
From what I've learned from observations on TFP if your pool has a pebble finish expect more wear and tear on the bot.
I just read your thread on draining to lower CYA. I'm preparing myself mentally for the same thing as soon as I get the guts to do it. I'm afraid of damage from draining. I need to drain ~70%.

I just read your thread on draining to lower CYA. I'm preparing myself mentally for the same thing as soon as I get the guts to do it. I'm afraid of damage from draining. I need to drain ~70%.
That thread was my awakening to TFP and the reality behind pool sanitation methods and water chemistry. I came to understand how so many pool owners wind up on the same dead end road. Also I realized how amazing this www of TFP goodwill actually is for pool owners.
In the west shallow groundwater is an isolated issue but I imagine in SC it is a big concern when draining a pool. Perhaps a water exchange would be a safer route for you.

@fishbait I am in the almost exact same situation as you. But instead I have a pressure cleaner with a booster pump but have decided it is time to upgrade into the robotic cleaners world. I am just starting my research today so still not sure which robotic I'll end up with (or even what's available) but I plan to research the Dolphin variety along with whatever offerings the 'big three' have in their arsenal ("Jandy, Pentair, Hayward") One of my first stops will be that 17 page post you are referring to @JoyfulNoise

Let the researching begin!!

I have the Nautilus CC Cleaner and other than it only lasting 33 months, I was VERY impressed with the machine. So much so that I ordered another one today. I am also hard on it, and have a larger than normal pool. The difference between the robot and the old school cleaner is night and day. I paid $900 (with tax) so figure $300 a season for it. Pricey but well worth it.

@fishbait I am in the almost exact same situation as you. But instead I have a pressure cleaner with a booster pump but have decided it is time to upgrade into the robotic cleaners world. I am just starting my research today so still not sure which robotic I'll end up with (or even what's available) but I plan to research the Dolphin variety along with whatever offerings the 'big three' have in their arsenal ("Jandy, Pentair, Hayward") One of my first stops will be that 17 page post you are referring to @JoyfulNoise

Let the researching begin!!

I would say don’t get caught up on the bells & whistles and all the fancy, over-promised but underwhelming “features”. Focus on finding the cheapest robot that will meet your needs. If you have a basic swimming pool (gunite, vinyl or fiberglass) and it doesn’t have a lot of sharp corners or crazy submerged bar stools, etc, then, as far as Dolphins go, the S200 type models are all you really need. That’ll put you in the ballpark of $700 for the robot. Also, don’t get too in the weeds with warranties - 2 years is the typical coverage period BUT the warranties are designed to never really be used. I had no warranty issues in my first 2 years and robots rarely ever have problems in that time frame. Finally, expect the robot to be dead within 5 years at which point it will likely be better to simply replace with a new one. Motor repairs on these things are basically not worth it.

Reactions: Salt_Water_Sam

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I would say don’t get caught up on the bells & whistles and all the fancy, over-promised but underwhelming “features”. Focus on finding the cheapest robot that will meet your needs. If you have a basic swimming pool (gunite, vinyl or fiberglass) and it doesn’t have a lot of sharp corners or crazy submerged bar stools, etc, then, as far as Dolphins go, the S200 type models are all you really need. That’ll put you in the ballpark of $700 for the robot. Also, don’t get too in the weeds with warranties - 2 years is the typical coverage period BUT the warranties are designed to never really be used. I had no warranty issues in my first 2 years and robots rarely ever have problems in that time frame. Finally, expect the robot to be dead within 5 years at which point it will likely be better to simply replace with a new one. Motor repairs on these things are basically not worth it.
Well I am so glad you mentioned this. I had just opened the Maytronics webpage and was instantly overwhelmed with all of the choices. Lol. Who knew there were that many dolphins out there!! The S200 seems like exactly what I need. I can't imagine needing to program out multiple days of cleaning since I plan to just pull it out of the pool after each cycle. I have a basic standard rectangle pool (gunite) so no sharp corners or submerged obstacles to worry about. Pic attached (trees reflecting in the water are making the floor look weirder than it is) Thank you again for the recommendation.
pool 2022.jpg

I have the Nautilus CC Cleaner and other than it only lasting 33 months, I was VERY impressed with the machine. So much so that I ordered another one today. I am also hard on it, and have a larger than normal pool. The difference between the robot and the old school cleaner is night and day. I paid $900 (with tax) so figure $300 a season for it. Pricey but well worth it.
Thank you, I'll take a look at this one as well. Looks really nice on first glance!

My first search for an s200 today didn't reveal many for sale. I am ready to pull the trigger on one, but couldn't find one I didn't think was a scam or wasn't a refurbished unit. Will try again tomorrow. At the same time, I'm wading through chlorine generators and led colored lights as well. I really have no idea where to start with either, so reading.

My first search for an s200 today didn't reveal many for sale. I am ready to pull the trigger on one, but couldn't find one I didn't think was a scam or wasn't a refurbished unit. Will try again tomorrow. At the same time, I'm wading through chlorine generators and led colored lights as well. I really have no idea where to start with either, so reading.
I am not finding any s200 either. I wonder if they quit making them? I see a DX3,DX4, & DX5 series though that looks similar. I wonder if they replaced the s200/S300 series. It looks like some models have a basket style filter you pull out vs the Nautilus has two separate square filters. I think I am leaning towards basket style right now. The Dolphin Triton also has my eye along with the Nautilus CC and DX series.

I would suggest those looking at Robots to call Marina Pool Spa and see what is in stock and if you want one they do not have in stock, get on a waiting list. The Maytronics robots are built in Israel, and the supply chain is kind of slow.
7777 W. Jewell Avenue
Lakewood, CO 80232
Phone: 303-985-0077

I just had a Polaris 9650i die today so I'm looking to get a new robot. 100% agree with Matt, mine lasted only 3 1/2 seasons and it's $450 for a new motor assembly (one side quit working) so I'm better off getting something new. As far as the bells an whistles, my 'i' robot lets me use my phone, yea it was fun the first day to drive it around, but now I just push go on the base, don't waste your money. Looks like the Dolphin is the way to go from the comments (I guess Sigma robotics and Dolphin are combined now?). I have a unique situation, I have 3 tables in my 'party' pool and my robot gets wrapped around them all the time, I take them out for winter and let it run free. Any suggestions on a robot? I don't want a cordless battery model so I just deal with it and try to watch it, but that's probably how I burned my motor out early.

Looks like Marina Pool and Spa has the Triton PS in stock which is apparently similar to the S200 and will be getting the S200 in soon this spring. Good to know, if I end up going with the Dolphin brand I'll definitely give Marina call along with my local brick n mortar dealer for pricing. I'm still just beginning the research and plan to check out other brands as well. Thanks everyone.

@fishbait Good luck on your search as well. (and sorry for partially hi-jacking your thread)

@JoyfulNoise I read through your entire 18 page post over Mr T. It read like a epic tale with twists and turns. Joy and elation at the beginning of the relationship. Mr. T is given a name, gets showcased multiple times to kickoff the seasons. Then the honeymoon ends and denial sets in about the current state of the relationship. Maybe Mr. T is still fine. Just this one part. When this doesn't prove fruitful, even past relationships get reconsidered (contemplates a move back to suction cleaner). After trying to work with Mr. T through his issues, in the end ultimately it is decided to part ways. A particular cold moment was towards the end of the thread where Mr. T is stripped of his self identity and gets referred to as just a "robot". Honestly, I was moved. Mr. T, after all his hard work and contributions finally comes to grips with the realization that he is in fact just a robot. A robot with plastic parts at that. Paging Disney/Pixar for a movie?

All kidding aside, I truly appreciated your detailed account of the S300i (ahem, I mean 'Mr. T'). Whomever Mr. T's successor is, please please please continue this type of detailed and transparent observations. We are all better for it. Thanks again.

I think Maytronics is having difficulties supplying robots. I know Marina has been waiting for a long time for their latest shipment and it was just pushed out again. It's been a while since the last shipment, from what I understand, so anything in stock has been sold, perhaps unless you find a smaller dealer who happens to have something available.

I am tempted to just go with a suction side cleaner until distribution and sourcing of robots levels out. Looking at maybe barracuda or kreepy krawly or something to hold me over unless I find a s200 beforehand. Any input on suction side cleaners? I have a port in the wall of the pool and balancing valves at the pump for one.

Reactions: JoyfulNoise
I am tempted to just go with a suction side cleaner until distribution and sourcing of robots levels out. Looking at maybe barracuda or kreepy krawly or something to hold me over unless I find a s200 beforehand. Any input on suction side cleaners? I have a port in the wall of the pool and balancing valves at the pump for one.

I feel the same way at the moment …

Reactions: fishbait

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.