Conquered high TA but TFP app still wants lower pH. Why?

bobcantswim

Jun 8, 2019
Media PA
Second year pool owner. I have a Taylor K-2006 test kit. Have been doing all my own testing and pool chemistry since almost day one. Using LC for chlorination. After pool opening this year (6/6/20) I had a bit of a pH bounce issue. Had to add 20 Mule initially, then muriatic acid several times before things calmed down. I battled high TA (started around 220) for more than a month, adding between 16 and 40 oz of muriatic almost every day, per TFP app recommendation.
This morning TA is finally within range (80), ph is 7.4, FC 4.5, CC 0, CYA 50, CH 330. Why does TFP still want me to get pH down to 7.2? App is still recommending 16 oz of Muriatic. I don’t get it. All numbers look good to me and TA is finally under control. What’s the rationale for continuing to chase after 7.2 pH? Plaster pool, 16,000 gals, very old Anthony Apollo DE filter (circa 1979 but still works fine). Any thoughts? Should I ignore the app or is there some science behind the pH 7.2 recommendation? Thanks in advance

Welcome to the forum!
The app provides ranges, with a mid point target suggested. You need to look at Recommended Levels and see that for your pool, what range applies and if you are in range, no worries.
Your results you show are great. Go swimming.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.