Connection issue with a IntelliComm® II Interface Adapter and Pentair Intelliflo VSF

Home Apolinar

May 17, 2020
Miami FL
I have always wanted to utilize the flow features of my Pentair intelliflo VSF pump.
The automation is Aqualink RS PS4. The SWCG is connected to the filter pump relay, so the SWCG won’t turn on if the pump is not running.
I finally installed a IntelliComm® II Interface Adapter with a Jandy relay splitter. I plugged the input of the splitter to PGM1 port on the IntelliComm , 1st connection to the filter pump port on the panel and 2nd connection to the filter pump relay.
Everything works fine except that my Jandy Aquapure SWCG is showing 0% production. I can’t control it at the panel or iAqualink web interface. Any help would be greatly appreciate it.
View attachment 386804 View attachment 386805

JMA,

I would have assumed your automation would control the IntelliFlo via the RS-485 port.

99.5% of pool owners do not need the "flow" part of the IntelliFlo, so what make it important to you?

I can't see your attachments, so not sure what they would show.

Thanks,

Jim R.

JMA,

I am not a Jandy guy, but it looks to me like your automation thinks the IntelliFlo pump is off line.

If I understand what you did correctly, your Pump/Filter relay and the IntelliComm PGM1 are both turned on by the coil voltage to your Pump/Filter relay.

I assume that you had to remove the original RS-485 cable from the pump to use the IntelliComm. It appears to me that your automation is still looking for the pump on the RS-485 port.

Maybe all you need to do is reconfigure your automation so that it is not looking for the pump on the RS-485 port.

I assume that your system is not allowing your SWCG to produce chlorine because it can see the pump running on the RS-485 port.

That said, sure seems like a lot of pain for no real gain to me.. :scratch:

Let's ask someone that knows Jandy stuff much better than me... Calling @PoolGate

Thanks,

Jim R.

JMA,

Just so that we are all on the same page...

Before installing the IntelliComm, did your automation control the IntelliFlo using the RS-485 communications port?

Thanks,

Jim R.

JMA,

My understanding is that your Jandy system can control the IntelliFlo as a VS pump OR a VF pump.. But not at the same time.

Did you just try to set up your system as a VF pump?

What was your goal in installing the IntelliComm?

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
JMA,

In my tiny mind, the best way to set up flow for a SWCG is run the pump in the RPM mode. Slowly turn the RPMs down until the SWCG reports low flow.. Then slowly turn the RPM up a little at a time until the SWCG just reports good flow. Then add 100 or 200 RPM and call that your minimum run setting.

Thanks,

Jim R.

JMA,

In my tiny mind, the best way to set up flow for a SWCG is run the pump in the RPM mode. Slowly turn the RPMs down until the SWCG reports low flow.. Then slowly turn the RPM up a little at a time until the SWCG just reports good flow. Then add 100 or 200 RPM and call that your minimum run setting.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I don't think this is a flow issue. You will get a SWG error for flow (or temp) problems. It looks to me like something is scrammed. Have you tried a simple reboot of everything?

I believe it has to do with the relay splitter I insert for the filter pump relay

Attachments

• 2022-01-05_16-29-32.jpg
    2022-01-05_16-29-32.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 8
  • 2022-01-05_16-28-24.jpg
    2022-01-05_16-28-24.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 10
  • 20220105_163250.jpg
    20220105_163250.jpg
    341.4 KB · Views: 11
  • 20220105_163301.jpg
    20220105_163301.jpg
    305.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 20220105_163308.jpg
    20220105_163308.jpg
    276.1 KB · Views: 9
Have you checked using a multimeter that the relay splitter is working properly?

Do you have 24V voltage on the filter relay socket to close the relays when you turn on your pump?

If so, when the relay splitter is plugged into the sockets do both relays close for power to run from the LINE to LOADs of each relay.

Caution - be very careful not to short the 24V circuit when probing it with your multimeter.

Check the relay operation with the LINE circuit breakers off and see if the relays close using the multimeter continuity.

Proper diagnostics using a multimeter will let you figure out what is going on.

JMA,

I'm pretty sure the problem is your automation is looking for an IntelliFlo VF and it can't find one because you have removed it from your system's RS-485 com port..

I could be wrong, but I was under the impression that your system could run either a VS IntelliFlo or an VF IntelliFlo, it just can't switch the pump back and forth between the two modes. It has to be one or the other.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Last edited:
Have you checked using a multimeter that the relay splitter is working properly?

Do you have 24V voltage on the filter relay socket to close the relays when you turn on your pump?

If so, when the relay splitter is plugged into the sockets do both relays close for power to run from the LINE to LOADs of each relay.

Caution - be very careful not to short the 24V circuit when probing it with your multimeter.

Check the relay operation with the LINE circuit breakers off and see if the relays close using the multimeter continuity.

Proper diagnostics using a multimeter will let you figure out what is going on.
The SWCG panel wouldn't turn on unless the relay was tripped. The filter light also comes on and it works just fine in service mode.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.