Connecting solar panels with Fernco flex PVC couplers (only 4.3 PSI max?) vs rigid/hard PVC.

AGP noob

Apr 8, 2021
dublin,ca
I see people (even professionals and manufacturers) connect solar pool panels with Fernco flex PVC DWV couplers. My question is why is this done when they are rated for max PSI of 4.3?

Fafco solar panel headers are 1.5 inch female threaded (other manfacturers have MALE thread). So to connect rigid PVC to the Fafco it will have more resistance (smaller hole) compared to using a Fernco flex PVC coupler (larger hole and less resistance). This may be small and trivial but maybe not.

First, that particular coupler is DWV rated which will have a lower PSI rating because it is not necessary in DWV applications. That doesn't mean that it can't operate at a higher pressure and used in solar application, it only means that is what it is rated for using it with a smooth pipe vs a solar header which has an indentation in the circumference of the pipe to improve the seal.

Second, if you search for actual solar panel couplers, most do not even have a rating because it is well within the PSI limits of the panels not to mention what a pool pump can produce so it is irrelevant. But I can attest that they do work quite well even at very high pressure.

I used fernco couplings on my panels for a while. They blew up a bit like balloons but they did hold out for a season. Definitely not the right application for the coupling.

The fafco solar panels use reinforced radiator hose for their couplings. If you have a NAPA near by sometimes they will have some stock radiator hose they can give you a piece of. Take one of the couplings with you to match the size.

Alternatively McMaster Carr has a selection of hoses to choose from.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.