Connecting second Hayward TriStar 1.85 HP VS Pump to an Aqua Plus proLogic

Buzzfam5

Oct 19, 2022
N. Venice, Florida
I am replacing an older Tristar VS pump with a new model. It is the secondary pump to circulate an infinity edge trough. The old pump was only wired to the Aqua Plus using Aux2 and had DIP switches 1 and 2 on. The main pump is a new Tristar VS 2.7 HP connected to the Aqua Plus with the new three wire terminal block and is working fine.

I replaced the internal terminal block and wired the new terminal block to the pump and the Aqua Plus just like the main pump. I turned on DIP switch 2 per the quick reference guide. The pump has power but is not starting when the Aux2 button is pressed. What did I do wrong?

In the Pro Logic installation manual there's a section regarding VSP pump addresses. It appears that you can only setup the new TriStar for AUX1, not AUX2.

Pro Logic OutputVSP Address
This is the output used to control the VSP. Note that the VSP should be wired to this output’s corresponding relay.This is the name that should be selected under “Set COMM bus address” (EcoStar) or “*H.Comm ADDR.” (TriStar) within the VSP’s Configuration Menu.
FILTER“001” - Tristar / “Pool Filter” - EcoStar
AUX1“002” - Tristar / “Aux1 / Spa Filter” - EcoStar
LIGHTS“Lights Button” - EcoStar only
AUX2“Aux2” - EcoStar only

Last edited:
I read that too, but this is how the older Tristar VSP was originally set up and connected by the pool company. I was hoping that the new one would work without any rewiring. I believe the heater may be connected to AUX1.

I also wasn’t sure how to set the VSP address since the display gets disabled when using the terminal block wired to the Aqua Plus. I guess I have to do that through the Aqua Plus configuration menu, but I was assuming that since I was swapping one Tristar for another that it would have already been set up correctly. But the older Tristar was not wired to the main control board of the Aqua Plus so its display was working and accessible.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.