Confused with keeping Fc at the right levels

hey there, welcome back :)

With the heat and sun it will use your FC.. I have mine running 12 hours now.. you may need to do the same and run 6 in the morning and 6 at night..

You are correct, CYA will not evaporate or leave unless you backwash a bunch or overflow... but, CYA of 50 or 40 will look really close depending on the sun, how bright it is and how many times you pour back and forth to see the level..

You really need to get it to CYA 70, then running 12 hours you should be good to go.. :)

- - - Updated - - -

ohhh ya, the PH will continue to rise until your TA gets lowered, every time you lower PH your TA will lower a little.. each time you will go longer before needing to add MA :)

Thank you. I did not realize about the heat!! That makes total sense. It has been awful. Ok.. the cya makes sense too! I did look at it in my house this time. Normally I do it outside. I did add my last bag of dichlor so that will add some.

So the pH is kind of a Pita until my ta comes down. So I may need to add the acid quite a bit at first.

I will start running the swg 12 hours. My husband was freaking out thinking or swg want working right. He didn't understand why we bought the swg if we keep having to add bleach anyway.

BTW, my pool looked clear but could see dirty in the bottom. We had some storms while I was gone and I just vacuumed. It was pretty dirty and I couldn't twp until I made a clean spot with the vacuum.

I need to hire a pool person when I go away to keep my pool clean.. lol

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Casey has you covered. You were going to check the SWG Breeze Model number and thought maybe it was the 540. Good idea to run 12 hours and 100%. I would leave it there until I saw it consistently taking the pool to an FC level above 5 ppm. That's a pretty good-sized pool and the SWG is not overly big for it.

Adding acid twice a week is not unusual. You can take pH down to 7.5 each time to add acid, and repeat when it goes over 7.8

I hope you've been enjoying the swimming!

Just a quick comments sersee, maybe you already know this... I also have a swg and was constantly having high pH,until I understood the connection to aeration. You may already know that aeration (water being exposed to air, like a fountain, water feature, splashing, or air compressor) causes pH to rise. Your SWG ALSO causes aeration which is why sw pools have a tendency to have regulary creeping pH. I was scratching my head until I learned that. Maybe it will help you or someone.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Thank you! I did know that but didn't put it together. I did at the dichlor yesterday. Today I'm at fc 3. I'm getting pH down. We are trying to enjoy the pool! "I get nervous if I have to add chemicals knowing when kids can swim. I read for pH.. they can wait 30 minutes ? I don't see anywhere on my breeze what model it is. I'm getting confused. How long do I wait to test my cya again?

ok.. I'm still having an issue with finding MA in my home Depot. My pH is too high so think I have to go with the dry acid and just keep looking. I went to the pool store and saw liquid chlorine at 12.5%. It was only $6, so I bought it. The cashier gave me a hard time about it not being stabilized and is just going to burn off. But I need to raise my fc to 6 to make sure everything is killed off. She told me my swg should maintain my fc and if it isn't I might need more salt. The last we checked I was at 3200ppm. I told her I already added salt. Then she said well use your boost. I guess I could? She did not understand why I wanted liquid chlorine. I said just to top it off when it loses. Again she told me my swg is probably not working right and I should get my water tested. Then she told me I should be using the dichlor because it will stay in there. I said but then my cya will go up. She said that I need stabilizer so it's ok. It will eventually go down anyway. I said I don't want too much cya. She told me to bring in a water sample because something is wrong if I'm missing chlorine like that. ugh. I just want to buy my pH minus and chlorine.. lol.

Dont get caught in their marketing efforts. Likely she had the best of intentions but only knows the Pool $tore to way of doing things. I actually said to the pool store girl the other day "this is what I want to buy, if you don't want to sell it to me I can go elsewhere". That seemed to work well.

Do you know the model of your swg? Theres a recommended level for salt somewhere between 3000 and 3500 typically.

Don't use boost to get your pool to slam level, it can't bring it up fast enough. The ONLY time I use my boost, is if I have a large bather load, like a pool party where a lot of people are in the pool, with sunscreen etc... Then I run the boost after. It just runs at 100% for 24hrs. But if you're already running your unit at 100% then that won't help anyway.

"I get nervous if I have to add chemicals knowing when kids can swim. I read for pH.. they can wait 30 minutes ?

Make sure the pump is running while, and after you add chemicals. You only have to wait long enough for the chemicals to circulate. You just don't want to swim through a cloud of acid. I always wait 4 hours before adding OTHER chemicals if you're adjusting more than one thing. Hope that makes sense.

I won't fall for it. I learned to much here. I can't find the model number on my system. When I went hunting for it, I thought it looked like the 540.But I am not sure. I'm just letting the kids swim and will add it tonight. I think needsajet mentioned to bring it up to fc 6. But I have to get the pH down first. So think I will add as soon as the kids are done. Maybe at 6 ish? So maybe I should wait until morning to add the chlorine?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Home Depot usually keeps the MA in the outside garden area but under the awning. It's sold in this area in a box with two gallon jugs inside.

I did look out there... I asked too but they didn't seem to know what I was talking about. I will keep looking. I will look for a box..thank you!!!

- - - Updated - - -

I wouldn't wait until morning to drop your liquid chlorine. Adjust your ph, wait an hour or so, then put your chlorine in. If you wait until morning then it's just less time until the sun starts to burn it off.

Sent from a tiny keyboard.

Ok good that was what I was hoping to do , but if I waited the four hours ..I would be asleep. Lol. Thanks will do..

I just found this thread and read through it. It seems to me that you a losing a lot of FC to the sun because your CYA is not high enough. You will be amazed what a CYA of 70 or 80 will do to help you hold your FC level. Then just let the SWG add the chlorine for you. So easy!

Here's what you're looking for from the home depot website. Plug in your zip code and see if they have either item.

http://www.homedepot.com/b/Playsets...muriatic+acid?Ntx=mode+matchpartialmax&NCNI-5

If the link above doesn't work, just type Muriatic Acid in the search bar or ask at the store for item 346284 or 907024 (you can search for those online and see if your local store has some. You can order it online and have it waiting at the checkout for you. Not sure where in South Jersey you are, but the Vineland store has 174 in stock.

I just found this thread and read through it. It seems to me that you a losing a lot of FC to the sun because your CYA is not high enough. You will be amazed what a CYA of 70 or 80 will do to help you hold your FC level. Then just let the SWG add the chlorine for you. So easy!

Yes..I believe you are right. I am slowly getting it there. It's been a process..lol

- - - Updated - - -

Here's what you're looking for from the home depot website. Plug in your zip code and see if they have either item.

http://www.homedepot.com/b/Playsets...muriatic+acid?Ntx=mode+matchpartialmax&NCNI-5

If the link above doesn't work, just type Muriatic Acid in the search bar or ask at the store for item 346284 or 907024 (you can search for those online and see if your local store has some. You can order it online and have it waiting at the checkout for you. Not sure where in South Jersey you are, but the Vineland store has 174 in stock.

Brilliant! didn't think to check online. Yea my store doesn't have it in stock. Vineland is a hike.

Sorry to hear you've had trouble getting muriatic acid. That was a good suggestion to order online for pickup at your local store. I remember that you're concerned about using MA, and you can float the jug in the water and estimate the amount to pour. It's important to get your pH under 7.8, so be sure to get this done. If you have to go with dry acid, that's better than not correcting your pH.

Based on a list I kept of your dichlor additions, plus the 2 gallons of liquid stabilizer, you're at around 50 ppm CYA, and yes, you can test it now to confirm.

It's probably a good time to do all the tests in your kit, and post them here for us to take a look at.

Assuming the SWC is the SGS Breeze 540, 10 hours run time at 100% will provide 2.5 ppm FC replacement per day, which is average usage for a clean uncovered pool with some swimming going on. If that's not keeping up, increase your pump run time to 12 hours.

Did you get a chance to do an OCLT? I was hoping you would take it up to 6 ppm FC, so that you could do an overnight chlorine loss test (OCLT) before we raise the CYA. Pool School - Perform the Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT)

Sorry to hear you've had trouble getting muriatic acid. That was a good suggestion to order online for pickup at your local store. I remember that you're concerned about using MA, and you can float the jug in the water and estimate the amount to pour. It's important to get your pH under 7.8, so be sure to get this done. If you have to go with dry acid, that's better than not correcting your pH.

Based on a list I kept of your dichlor additions, plus the 2 gallons of liquid stabilizer, you're at around 50 ppm CYA, and yes, you can test it now to confirm.

It's probably a good time to do all the tests in your kit, and post them here for us to take a look at.

Assuming the SWC is the SGS Breeze 540, 10 hours run time at 100% will provide 2.5 ppm FC replacement per day, which is average usage for a clean uncovered pool with some swimming going on. If that's not keeping up, increase your pump run time to 12 hours.

Did you get a chance to do an OCLT? I was hoping you would take it up to 6 ppm FC, so that you could do an overnight chlorine loss test (OCLT) before we raise the CYA. Pool School - Perform the Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT)

I tested everything on the 4th of July. I will test again. I know my ph 8.2 or higher and my fc is 3. So I was just putting in my acid for the ph to bring it down. I was going to add the liquid chlorine to get it up to 6. I didn't know I was supposed to do another overnight. My pool was very dirty. I vacuumed it yesterday and vacuumed it again today. There was more dirt . Its better, but its still there. I wonder if its still in my water and it's just settling. We were only running my swg 8.5 hours. So we are pumping it up to 12 hours. I thought I was raising to fc of 6 to make sure everything was killed. I will raise it tonight and then can perform that overnight test again tomorrow night?

On the 4th my levels were :
Fc 3.5
Cc 0
PH 7.8
TA 120
CYA it was between 30-40. So I go to nearest line up?
CH 150

So I will test in the morning because my TA should change with the ph acid. I can test the cya again tonight though.

I just did the CYA...Im running out of that stuff..hope I can order more. I am still getting between 30-40 line. I can see the dot at 50. Am I doing it wrong? Im holding it at my waist and standing outside .

I just had my husband test it and he gets to the 40 and can't see the dot.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.