Confused - sand base thickness and calculating liner height. Help!

Kat_TN

Jul 10, 2019
Nashville, TN
I am replacing a 15-20 year old 24' above ground pool. There is a wrap around wood deck so I have to use the same space to install the new pool. I have gone through countless installation videos and posts and they say different things.

Old pool: had 48" walls, set up on a 5" thick sand base that extended past the pool outline (see drawing). Uprights set on 4"x4"x2" pavers level with the sand. Had a sand cove and overlap liner.

New pool: has 52" walls. Using 4" foam cove and thought about using 1" styrofoam on top of sand for a good base. Switching to unibead/jhook liner. I will have to build a 4" tall wood wall to meet the new pool height down to the deck.

1. Sand height: Many online sources say to build up 3" of sand INSIDE the pool walls (thus, taking 3" off the height of the pool) (see Option 1 in drawing). Many others show that you put pavers level with ground, and then dig out 3" of dirt and fill it with sand. This would make the sand base level with the main ground level and the top of the pavers. (See option 2 in drawing) Which one is correct? Our previous pool lines up with option 2 construction so can I keep that?

2. When you buy a 52" unibead/jhook liner, is it designed for actual 52" of wall measurement INSIDE the pool? Or does it assume that there is 3" of sand inside the pool so when you buy a 52" liner, its actual height is only 49"? If the latter is the case and I build the pool back with option 2 construction, a 52" liner will be 3" too short. Therefore, if I use option 2 construction and then add 1" of styrofoam, should I buy a 54" liner (54-3+1)?

3. The old pool has sand bermed up about 6-8" on the outside of the pool wall with a slope down to ground level. The area under the deck was covered in pine bark mulch. It did not seem to cause any rust but some websites say to not use sand or mulch as it may hold moisture and cause rust. Do we have to remove that material so that the pool walls don't touch anything on the outside?

4. I will have to use pavers on top of sand under pool uprights (since there is no solid ground to put them on). What size pavers should I use and do I need to do anything to support the bottom rail? Current pool lasted this long with just sand under bottom rail but I want to make sure to it right.

I would really appreciate some help! We are starting construction this Saturday.

Thank you,

Katerina

Attachments

• old pool.jpg
    old pool.jpg
    249.4 KB · Views: 21
  • new pool.jpg
    new pool.jpg
    357.2 KB · Views: 22
Update: I just talked to 3 different large online pool part sellers and got 3 different answers regarding the true height of a 52" Swimline liner:
  • One said that a 52" liner has actual dimension of 52"
  • Second said that it allows for 2" of sand so it's actually 50" (this corresponds to the Swimline installation instructions)
  • Third said that it allows for 3" of sand so it's actually only 49"
What????

I'm even more confused now... :(

This is the guideline I used when installing mine...

Putting the pavers on top of the sand sounds like a recipe for disaster to me...I would definitely clear the sand away from where the uprights will be and plant the pavers correctly on or in solid ground.

I get that it can be quite overwhelming with the amount of info out there...but just take it all in, sort through the similarities and differences, add a little common sense, and you’ll be fine!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.