Confused. Quick Question

Jun 3, 2013
My test Kit (Pentair) tests for "Chlorine Residual". What exactly is Chlorine Residual as it relates to Free Chlorine, Combined Chlorine etc?
Reason I ask is that my pool has been perfect. "Residual Chlorine" levels 4+, PH 7.6, TA 70, etc. We had a downpour yesterday AM and I noticed a slight haze in the pool. Turned the SWG to "Turbo" (100%) and set the pool to run 24 hrs for extra filtering and Chlorine production. This AM, after running all night, its even more Hazy. Tested water again and still 4.0+ on Residual Chlorine. Added a little Shock in case its a bloom and the Chlorine test 1 hr after is almost a Orange Color its so high. No longer yellow.
I am ordering a Taylor Kit now but wont have for a few days. Any ideas? No signs of Algae, etc

Also, I back-washed and recharged DE yesterday AM.

Sounds like a oto test kit, it measures total clorine, fc + cc. In pool school there is some cool information about oto that you may look up, but oto testing is insufficient.

You didn't list your cya level, it's probably high from pool store products and makes your clorine level have to be high. Get a tf100 or Taylor 2006c, regular 2006 is quite small especially if you have a bloom.

Any idea where the best place to buy a TF100? Not many online and want as fast as possible. I guess while awaiting for it to arrive I can take to pool store to get a full picture but hate doing that as most times not accurate and just want to sell you a ton of Chems.

ordered Taylor Kit. Being that my "Chlorine Residual" is very high, and not knowing the Free Chlorine level I ran and grabbed the lovely Clorox Test Strips to see if I can get some insight into the Free and Combined. Strips say 5PPM on TC, 10PPM on FC (thats funny its twice as much as FC) andPH is 7.6, CH is 250, TA 80, Stabilizer reads 0. Here is a pic of Pool as well to show the "Haze"

ordered Taylor Kit. Being that my "Chlorine Residual" is very high, and not knowing the Free Chlorine level I ran and grabbed the lovely Clorox Test Strips to see if I can get some insight into the Free and Combined. Strips say 5PPM on TC, 10PPM on FC (thats funny its twice as much as FC) andPH is 7.6, CH is 250, TA 80, Stabilizer reads 0. Here is a pic of Pool as well to show the "Haze"
and from last night prior to running 24hrs.
IMG_6366.jpg
IMG_6368.jpg
IMG_6354.jpg
IMG_6352.jpg

I had 2 bottles of Clorox Blue Shock (added) and also added 1 gal of 8.25% Bleach. Also have the SWG on "Turbo". Says the test kit will arrive friday.
Question, the Strip showed a CYA of 0. Lets assume its accurate, Do I add CYA now in a sock or wait till pool clears? Reason I ask is that if I need to Backwash, I dont want CYA heading into the woods.
Thanks on the pool comment. Lots of $ in this between the pool, equip, hardscapes/landscapes. Wish I could jump in today :( Shame as the pool has been SOOOOO clear all summer and after the downpour the haze arrived.

I had 2 bottles of Clorox Blue Shock (added) and also added 1 gal of 8.25% Bleach. Also have the SWG on "Turbo". Says the test kit will arrive friday.
Question, the Strip showed a CYA of 0. Lets assume its accurate, Do I add CYA now in a sock or wait till pool clears? Reason I ask is that if I need to Backwash, I dont want CYA heading into the woods.
Thanks on the pool comment. Lots of $ in this between the pool, equip, hardscapes/landscapes. Wish I could jump in today :( Shame as the pool has been SOOOOO clear all summer and after the downpour the haze arrived.
I would not trust the strip reading. Like I wrote before, high FC can bleach out the colors. It's really easy to raise CYA if you're low, but if you add more when you don't need it, the only way to lower it is by water replacement. And that's a PITA.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I suspect "chlorine residual" and "free chlorine" are the same thing.

Typically, products with "blue" in the name contain copper and should be avoided. Check the contents on the label to be sure. Copper can stain your pool and turn hair green. You should only be adding plain, unscented, non-splashless bleach to your pool at this point. Once you get your TF-100, if your CYA really is 0, then add stabilizer at that time. But don't add anything else now that might contain CYA in the event that it is already too high. Test strips are worse than worthless at measuring CYA, as they can falsely lead you in exactly the opposite way you need to go.

Just adding bleach and the SWG on Turbo at this point. And yes, here are the ingredients. Active Ingredients: Sodium Dichloro-S-Triazinetrione (63.05%), Copper (Metallic) (Derived from Copper Citrate) (0.26%). Other Ingredients: (36.69%). Total Ingredients: (100.00%).

I was using test strips before I found this site and they said that my CYA was 0, so while I was waiting for my TF-100 to show up I picked up a bunch of bleach, muriatic acid, and CYA. Good thing I waited on adding the CYA, I was already at 90.

Go ahead and back wash now, and when ever the PSI rises 20-25% from you clean pressure. Add the CYA in a sock in front of a return, assuming you need it.

Be patient it will clear up soon and you will have years of enjoyment out of the pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.