Conflicting water chemistry goals

kstough

Jun 7, 2019
Ozark, AL
I want to preface this by saying I am an avid learner and I love to understand things. It helps me to learn much better when I understand. I’m asking this not to stir anything up or choose a “side” but rather to truly understand.

Why do I receive 2 very different recommendations when it comes to the recommended chemistry levels for my pools? I have gone through this awesome website’s Pool School. Where I’m getting conflicting recommendations is on Facebook groups (Swimming Pool & Spa Owners). My CH is 50 and I’ve gotten lots of response that it’s too low, but the recommendation here for vinyl liner pools is no calcium is needed since there’s no calcium in the liner. One person said it would leach the calcium out of the pool equipment and he recommends I get CH up to 200.

They’ve also been recommending a higher CYA.

If you can help explain why there are two sides of things, it will help me educate myself better! Thanks a ton!

It is not possible to mix pool store / chemical company advice with TFP. TFP is based on science and the success of 100's of 1000's of pool owners. Pool store advice is based on selling chemicals and potions.

I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Pool School eBook.

Reactions: Donldson
kstough.
I have to bite my tongue when reading Face Book advice. We raise sheep and so belong to several groups.
Too many "experts" who have either been very lucky or they are facing disaster and just don't know it yet. They also offer advice without gathering enough knowledge about that particular situation to be able to answer appropriately.

Good Luck! :)

Reactions: kstough
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.