Conflicting advice on TA. Worry about it or not?

Thinkly

Oct 12, 2009
Overland Park, KS
I have read conflicting advice on whether to be concerned about TA levels or not. My understanding is that you shouldn't be concerned unless you have a high CH level. Is this correct? My current TA is around 270 which is very high and CH is 110. I have been fighting cloudy water and have also read high TA can cause this. So I don't know whether to tackle it or not...

What is your PH? How often do you need to add muriatic acid to maintain PH/7.4-7.8
That is what is used for TFP-methods to determine if the TA needs "aggressive adjustment" or just maintenance.

I just lowered the pH from 7.8 to 7.5 overnight with Muratic acid. I just recently drained and refilled much of my water so I am learning the behavior of this new water. My fill water is very high TA. So last night was the first time I added acid to lower pH/TA.

Most here will suggest to track your PH rise and how often you need to lower it.
With fiberglass you don't want a PH crash (you have a ways before that is a concern), but don't want high PH which can/will cause scaling.

OK. I'll keep an eye on the pH. It's strange because my fill water has a pH of about 7.2 and that was what the pool was testing a couple days ago after the water exchange. Then it shot up to 7.8 overnight.
A quick rise might be attributed to either: swimmers, the SWG got turned on/up, water features running, adding Baking soda or Washing Soda/soda ash, etc

Last edited:
Reactions: Thinkly
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.