Conflicting advice on draining pool

greser

Dec 13, 2017
Phx, AZ
A bunch of tiles popped off so I hired someone to replace that section. The tile section is above the "deep" end (7'). He said it would be easier to drain the pool so we don't have to work upside down to fix the tiles. I was going to drain the pool anyway this winter bc water was excessively hard this summer (>800).

Is it OK to drain entire pool? Some posts have not recommended this. I live in Phx and is it is January now with daytime max temps at 70 and 40 for lows. Does it need to be kept moist even though it's not that hot?
Pebbletec is 16 years old. How can I assess to see if it may need to be re-done?

As always...Thanks to everyone.

There is always risk. In our area, that risk is delamination or cracking of the plaster. This is the time of year to do it, if necessary.

You do not want to have it empty for long. And best to wet the plaster, especially if an area will get hit with direct sunlight.

Read Draining - Further Reading

Reactions: Mdragger88
A bunch of tiles popped off so I hired someone to replace that section. The tile section is above the "deep" end (7'). He said it would be easier to drain the pool so we don't have to work upside down to fix the tiles. I was going to drain the pool anyway this winter bc water was excessively hard this summer (>800).

Is it OK to drain entire pool? Some posts have not recommended this. I live in Phx and is it is January now with daytime max temps at 70 and 40 for lows. Does it need to be kept moist even though it's not that hot?
Pebbletec is 16 years old. How can I assess to see if it may need to be re-done?

As always...Thanks to everyone.
How many tiles popped off? I replaced a couple tiles upside down with water in the pool and it wasn’t a big deal. If I had to do 100 of them then maybe I could see it being much harder.

Here is a picture of the affected area. We’d like to redo the pool in a few years. I just want to reattach the tiles until we have enough money saved to redo the entire thing.image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Tile area is repaired. Now i need to refill it. I don't see any specific instructions on how to fill pool in Pool School. Better to fill and then adjust chemicals I'm assuming but is there an order in which chemicals should be added?

Fill poo up, then test and add chemicals with pump running (15-30 minutes between chlorine and muriatic acid additions).
What test kit do you have?
Are you using PoolMath?

Since you are in PHX, don't add calcium - our evaporation rates will cause the CH to rise on it's own.

Taylor K 2006-C

I’m familiar with testing, chemistry, etc. But I just never done everything from a baseline of untreated water.
Do I want to get the pH at the right level first or CYA? And since it is a saltwater pool, when do I want to start adding salt

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Do I want to get the pH at the right level first or CYA? And since it is a saltwater pool, when do I want to start adding salt
You can do all three. Adjust your pH. At the same time, get some chlorine stabilizer in a sock in front of a return. Also a great time to add salt. Keep the SWCG off until you have salt dissolved and 24 has passed with pump running. Might even want to creep up on salt levels to make sure that you don't overshoot. Keep the pump running all the time. Use liquid Chlorine to get your FC up to the right level for your target CYA, until you have enough salt for the SWCG in the pool, and it has circulated for 24 hours...then switch to the SWCG to make your chlorine.

Reactions: Methuselah
Taylor K 2006-C

I’m familiar with testing, chemistry, etc. But I just never done everything from a baseline of untreated water.

It does not matter much other then add chlorine and acid at least 15 minutes apart.

And CYA is a mild acid that will reduce your pH a bit. So adjust your pH using muriatic acid down to the high 7s and leave room for the CYA to take pH down a bit more.

Reactions: PoolStored
In Pool Math, I only see the effect of adding chemicals to my old established water. When starting from scratch, how much salt, liquid chlorine and CYA would I need?
How do I turn off SWG while pump is running?

In Pool Math, I only see the effect of adding chemicals to my old established water. When starting from scratch, how much salt, liquid chlorine and CYA would I need?
I created another POOL in pool math, called it "Fill Water." I tested my fill water, and entered the values. Then used that "POOL" in pool math to start it up.

Your salt, chlorine, and CYA on new water will be 0. Just enter a new set of test results into
PoolMath with 0 for those.
How do I turn off SWG while pump is running?

Set the % output to 0.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.