Confirming FC level stays between 4-6 ppm not below 3 + Timing

michelegel

Bronze Supporter
Sep 9, 2015
Mamaroneck, NY
Hi all.

Newbie running Intex Krystal Clear Sand filter Pump for Above Ground Pools, 14", 110-120V with Gfci on a 18 x 9 Bestway pool - setup day is here!

A couple of questions: (stuff I'm confirming/confused about is in green)

1. TFP recco is 4-6 ppm FC, above 3 recommended in Pool Math app. I'm assuming 4-6 is correct. We're in suburban NY with a shady environment, FYI, so don't think we'll see high chlorine "burnoff"

2. How should we schedule our initial balance? Mostly confused about timing - how long each to allow between each step.
  1. fill pool, enter salt, check levels at 30 min intervals?? until on high side of target (3000 +)
  2. wait 24 hours ?? Adjust CYA to 70-80
  3. Run pump for timing set by the manufacturer? (1 -2 hrs per day?), set SWG to medium, monitor FC within 4-6 ppm., monitor for stability, (a day or two?) - add a drop of chlorine directly into pool if it seems too low (first time only)
  4. Adjust TA to 70 ppm. - with muriatic acid - test in 30 - 60 min?
  5. Adjust PH to 7.5 PH. with baking soda? wait a day?
  6. Adjust CH to > 50 ppm & < 300 ppm. - with calcium chloride? wait a day?
  7. Adjust Borate to 40 ppm. - after a week?
Using: Water Balance for SWGs - Trouble Free Pool
and the great post by ellislo (and responses!) Here: for guidance.

Thanks in advance for to the great folks on this board. Fingers crossed for a smooth setup!

What test kit do you have?

What is your pH & TA of your fill water?

How many gallons in your pool?

Only chemicals you can’t add together is acid and chlorine. Wait 15 minutes between those two.

Get 5 ppm of liquid chlorine in the water immediately after the fill is complete. Then get your stabilizer and salt dissolving.

Your pH and TA are likely ok. Don’t be so quick to add calcium and borates. Chances are you don’t need it.

Slow down and focus on chlorine, pH, and CYA.

Adjust Borate to 40 ppm. - after a week?

Michele,

Please do not add borates until you have your pool up and running and have a good "feel" for how it works..

Once you have done that you can decide if you want to add it or not. Most people find they are not required.

Make sure you are using the SWCG portion of this chart... FC/CYA Levels

With a CYA of 70 your target is 5 ppm of FC... It is best to try to keep your FC at the target level or slightly higher.. this keeps you well away from the minimum of 3 ppm.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I'm going to answer inside of your post in red
Hi all.

Newbie running Intex Krystal Clear Sand filter Pump for Above Ground Pools, 14", 110-120V with Gfci on a 18 x 9 Bestway pool - setup day is here!

A couple of questions: (stuff I'm confirming/confused about is in green)

1. TFP recco is 4-6 ppm FC, above 3 recommended in Pool Math app. I'm assuming 4-6 is correct. We're in suburban NY with a shady environment, FYI, so don't think we'll see high chlorine "burnoff"

2. How should we schedule our initial balance? Mostly confused about timing - how long each to allow between each step.
  • fill pool, enter salt, check levels at 30 min intervals?? until on high side of target (3000 +) You want to be sure all the salt is dissolved, so I would add about 90% of the salt required, brush the pool and leave the pump running until it is dissolved and then test the salt level. It is better to have to add a little salt than to overshoot and have to drain some water. Check the salt level about a 1/2 hour after brushing the pool.
  • wait 24 hours ?? Adjust CYA to 70-80 You can use the sock method to add CYA as soon as you have enough water in the pool to run the pump. Again, sneak up on the CYA level by placing 90% of the CYA you will need in a clean white sock, tie it off and hang it in front of the return. The sock should be submerged and once it has soaked in front of the return while the pump is running you can start squeezing the sock to help it dissolve faster. Leave the sock hanging in front of the return until the sock is empty. Once it is empty you can test the CYA level.
  • Run pump for timing set by the manufacturer? (1 -2 hrs per day?), set SWG to medium, monitor FC within 4-6 ppm., monitor for stability, (a day or two?) - add a drop of chlorine directly into pool if it seems too low (first time only) You will need to experiment with pump run times to see what works for your pool. Start with 1-2 hours per day and test the FC when you turn the pump on and when you turn it off to see how much chlorine is produced during that time. SWGs do a good job maintaining chlorine levels but have a hard time reaching them from 0, so we recommend when you start the SWG to add enough liquid chlorine to reach the high end of your recommended FC level and test a couple of times a day to make sure the SWG keeps the FC between 4-6 ppm. If you are consistently over your target drop the output %. If you are consistently under increase pump run time.
  • Adjust TA to 70 ppm. - with muriatic acid - test in 30 - 60 min? Do not adjust TA just for the sake of hitting a TA target. We only adjust TA to stabilize pH levels. If the pH is fine it doesn't matter what the TA is.
  • Adjust PH to 7.5 PH. with baking soda? wait a day? pH can be adjusted often. Just add MA to lower and circulate the pool for 15 minutes. If you need to increase the pH you can adjust the return to churn the water and raise pH. You do not need to wait a day between adjustments. Know that an SWG will raise pH on its own, so if you start out with high pH you will want to lower it and check it every couple of days.
  • Adjust CH to > 50 ppm & < 300 ppm. - with calcium chloride? wait a day? Vinyl pools do not need more than 50ppm of calcium in the water. You can test your fill water's calcium level to get a baseline reading. Unless you have very soft water the calcium level should be fine. If it is very hard water (over 400ppm) then we can discuss ways to handle hard water issues.
  • Adjust Borate to 40 ppm. - after a week? Borates are optional. I would wait a few weeks to decide if this is something your pool needs. Borates do act as a mild algaecide, and provide a softer feel to regular water. Salt water also has a softer feel, so you may not notice any difference adding borates for feel. As long as you keep within recommended chlorine levels you will not develop algae, so you don't need borates for that. It will help stabilize pH levels, but again I'm not sure that works in a pool with an SWG. Finally if you have pets or kids that like to drink pool water it is best not to add borates.
Using: Water Balance for SWGs - Trouble Free Pool
and the great post by ellislo (and responses!) Here: for guidance.

Thanks in advance for to the great folks on this board. Fingers crossed for a smooth setup!
If you have any other questions feel free to ask! Enjoy your pool!

You can test the fill water now. It is not going to change.

We have simplified pool care for seasonal pools...

Being a fellow Bestway pool owner, I'll add my experience as answers in addition to the knowledge you have already been given!

Hi all.
Please add this info to your signature, pool, equipment & test kit details! Thank you!

You will likely prefer about FC/5-6.

1. fill pool, enter salt, check levels at 30 min intervals?? until on high side of target (3000 +)
  2. wait 24 hours ?? Adjust CYA to 70-80
  3. Run pump for timing set by the manufacturer? (1 -2 hrs per day?), set SWG to medium, monitor FC within 4-6 ppm., monitor for stability, (a day or two?) - add a drop of chlorine directly into pool if it seems too low (first time only)
  4. Adjust TA to 70 ppm. - with muriatic acid - test in 30 - 60 min?
  5. Adjust PH to 7.5 PH. with baking soda? wait a day?
  6. Adjust CH to > 50 ppm & < 300 ppm. - with calcium chloride? wait a day?
  7. Adjust Borate to 40 ppm. - after a week?
  1. Answered well above
  2. I would target CYA/60 personally, you mention "shady", so you might even be able to get away with CYA/50. You can always add, but you have to drain to lower ;)
  3. Definitely add FC/5 (with liquid chlorine per PoolMath) once you have a full pool.
  4. Answered above, but I would second/third to leave TA alone, monitor your PH
  5. Monitor the PH, if it needs lowered: use PoolMath to dose measured Muriatic Acid poured slowly close to the water and in front of the return (in the pool, not into the pump/filter)
  6. Check & confirm your CH, with a SWG ~ I believe 100 is a preferred level, but vinyl doesn't need calcium, so no need to raise this unless your levels are extremely low
  7. Addressed by prev posters, but don't add these unless you are fighting PH crashes.
  8. Enjoy your pool!!
  9. P.S. I would NOT suggest the seasonal pool care since you have SWG and have to add salt if you drain. Just personal preference.

Last edited:
you guys are all amazing.

Checking my inventory, I think I might have flaked on the chlorine/bleach to supplement.

Any issues with running the swg for with the salt and cya doing their thing fo a two days before adding chlorine? or should I do a quick run to the store?

Checking my inventory, I think I might have flaked on the chlorine/bleach to supplement.

Any issues with running the swg for with the salt and cya doing their thing fo a two days before adding chlorine? or should I do a quick run to the store?
The SWG cannot be operated until the salt level is confirmed. To keep your pool water "safe" (especially if it's warm enough to swim) you will want to keep at least 1 or 2 gallons of either plain household bleach (6% sodium hypochlorite) OR LIQUID Pool Shock (10% or 12.5% sodium hypochlorite) on hand, for easier quick additions.

You have it backwards. SWG generates chlorine very slowly. It cannot rapidly get your FC up to prevent algae.

An initial dose of liquid chlorine gets your water set then the SWG can maintain the chlorine level.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.