concrete pool waterline

ericainky

May 7, 2019
ky
hello all! i am new here and reaching out for some ideas/advice regarding the waterline of our concrete pool. we purchased our home last summer and enjoyed the pool, but it is in need of a face lift. the house was built in the 70s with a 17 x 34' in ground (what we believe to be) concrete with fine aggregate pool. The previous owner said they had three different companies try over the years but none could get tile to adhere to the border/waterline so they had painted it. It looks terrible. they didn't scrape off a lot of the adhesive that was left from the tile and just painted about a 6" band around the top edge of the pool - it is now bubbling, flaking, and chipping off. Other than this, the pool is in pretty darn good shape and we hate to resurface the whole thing at this point just because of the upper edge. We have been discussing using our power washer and a grinder to remove the paint and the old gunk that was left behind, but not sure what our options are after we get it clean. Do we try to tile it again after so many failed attempts? Or do we repaint it with appropriate prep work? Anyone ever stenciled this type of thing? I'd say within 5 years we will do a major face lift/overhaul, but what would you guys suggest for the time being? I'm open.

It seems to me that maybe there is a water intrusion issue from the backside with is causing the tile installations to fail. Is there a joint between the decking and coping? Is that joint fully sealed with a soft caulk-like material to prevent water from getting in there?

It seems to me that maybe there is a water intrusion issue from the backside with is causing the tile installations to fail. Is there a joint between the decking and coping? Is that joint fully sealed with a soft caulk-like material to prevent water from getting in there?
Below the coping where it caps the pool wall there is a rubber-like track that holds LED rope lighting. Maybe the issue is there?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.