Concrete patio thickness

Poolecw

Apr 5, 2019
NW Ga
Hi guys, I am working through some cost estimates for putting in a new vinyl liner pool in our home. What is a common thickness for concrete surrounding the pool? I know 4in is a typical slab thickness for most applications, but I do not know what is standard for a concrete apron around a swimming pool.

Any thoughts and comments would be appreciated.

uxbridgechris

Bronze Supporter
Jan 25, 2018
uxbridge, Ontario Canada
I’m gonna say that most pool builders do a 3.5 to 4”. From what I’ve seen anyway. I did way more than that. 6 to 7” average because more must be better? Lol.
More important than thickness is the use of a high quality mix with fibre mesh. Just my opinion.

Txjole

Bronze Supporter
Aug 22, 2018
Wylie/TX
Most important is that the steel is IN the slab, not under it. 4" with 6" turndowns is the norm around here.

uxbridgechris

Bronze Supporter
Jan 25, 2018
uxbridge, Ontario Canada
I have done my fair share at work of ripping out old concrete slabs on commercial properties. Usually with a excavator mounted breaker. 99% of the time, that steel is in the bottom 1” of slab or directly on the gravel. For that reason alone I don’t believe in steel. Use steel if it makes you feel good but use good quality concrete and fibre mesh.

JamesW

TFP Expert
Mar 2, 2011
I would definitely recommend steel for strength and for good bonding.

Many of the pools that give people tiny shocks don't have steel in the concrete.

In addition,

1) Use a high strength (psi) mix.
2) Use a properly prepared subsurface.
3) Use properly designed expansion joints and control joints.

jimmythegreek

Bronze Supporter
Aug 10, 2017
Morris Cnty NJ
I beleive you only need a single ring of bonding wire in a non rebar deck. I agree that fibre mesh will do way more than rebar will and properly compacted base is the key with expansion joints well placed. I've ripped out a few pool decks in my days and every single one had voids, sometimes huge, from settling soil behind the walls. I let mine sit all winter even tho I used clean 3/4 gravel for backfill. As said 4" and a thicker 6" turndown on edges with 4000 or better mix is a quality job. Here in NJ its 20bucks a yard difference from sidewalk mix to 4000 and 30 to get 5000mix. For a couple hundred bucks it's cheap insurance

Reactions: Poolecw

JamesW

TFP Expert
Mar 2, 2011
I am aware of multiple pools that give people tiny shocks and most of them seem to have decks with no steel reinforcement.

Regardless of whether it's required or not, I highly recommend adding wire mesh or rebar.

Other Threads of Interest