Concrete patio thickness

Poolecw

Apr 5, 2019
NW Ga
Hi guys, I am working through some cost estimates for putting in a new vinyl liner pool in our home. What is a common thickness for concrete surrounding the pool? I know 4in is a typical slab thickness for most applications, but I do not know what is standard for a concrete apron around a swimming pool.

Any thoughts and comments would be appreciated.

I have done my fair share at work of ripping out old concrete slabs on commercial properties. Usually with a excavator mounted breaker. 99% of the time, that steel is in the bottom 1” of slab or directly on the gravel. For that reason alone I don’t believe in steel. Use steel if it makes you feel good but use good quality concrete and fibre mesh.

I would definitely recommend steel for strength and for good bonding.

Many of the pools that give people tiny shocks don't have steel in the concrete.

In addition,

1) Use a high strength (psi) mix.
2) Use a properly prepared subsurface.
3) Use properly designed expansion joints and control joints.

I beleive you only need a single ring of bonding wire in a non rebar deck. I agree that fibre mesh will do way more than rebar will and properly compacted base is the key with expansion joints well placed. I've ripped out a few pool decks in my days and every single one had voids, sometimes huge, from settling soil behind the walls. I let mine sit all winter even tho I used clean 3/4 gravel for backfill. As said 4" and a thicker 6" turndown on edges with 4000 or better mix is a quality job. Here in NJ its 20bucks a yard difference from sidewalk mix to 4000 and 30 to get 5000mix. For a couple hundred bucks it's cheap insurance

Reactions: Poolecw
I am aware of multiple pools that give people tiny shocks and most of them seem to have decks with no steel reinforcement.

Regardless of whether it's required or not, I highly recommend adding wire mesh or rebar.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.